Advice on Ht

HI there,

first thanks to all the people that kindly answers my questions and who make this forum very lively.

I ve already described my case in some thread; however i mahe my HT's when i still had lots of hair in the front; so when transplanted it was in between the non transplanted hair. Today it s getting thinner and thinner, but in the top front i still have some real non transplanted hair and on the sides the transplanted ones.

I obviously need another HT to make the whole appearance thicker (if u want i canpost some pics to show you about it) but im wondering if the HT will result in shock loss that will make the hair that is still in the top front fall down ? and that s the problem; because if it does , cvs, then i will need another HT to refill this part too ?

So do i have to wait until everything fall down even if it can take years, and live with this thin hair in the front ; or is there another solution ?

Thanks for the advices.

HI there,

first thanks to all the people that kindly answers my questions and who make this forum very lively.

I ve already described my case in some thread; however i mahe my HT's when i still had lots of hair in the front; so when transplanted it was in between the non transplanted hair. Today it s getting thinner and thinner, but in the top front i still have some real non transplanted hair and on the sides the transplanted ones.

I obviously need another HT to make the whole appearance thicker (if u want i canpost some pics to show you about it) but im wondering if the HT will result in shock loss that will make the hair that is still in the top front fall down ? and that s the problem; because if it does , cvs, then i will need another HT to refill this part too ?

So do i have to wait until everything fall down even if it can take years, and live with this thin hair in the front ; or is there another solution ?

Thanks for the advices.

Get on preventative medicine right away, to stop your hair loss from progressing. You should try a DHT blocker like Propecia (Finasteride). Use it for at least a year before judging your progress.

A hair transplant doesn't prevent future hair loss! You should be on preventive medicine BEFORE you even think about a hair transplant, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks arfy;

however as i posted in another thread i was asking the difference between propecia and minoxidl. since i used to take minoxidyl and when i stopped it i ve noticed that i ve had abnormal hair lost . so if i m going on propecia and for some reason want to stop it i don t wanna fall for the same stuff.

What s your opinion on that.,

Both Propecia and Minoxidil can halt your hair loss or slow it way down.

If you stop using it, your hairloss will resume. Sometimes, it almost seems like the hair loss practically jumps to where it would have been before, as if you had never taken any Propecia or Minoxidil.

The short answer is Yes, you do need to continue using any drug you take. If it's working, then why would you stop? Yes, it is a serious concern to get on any drug for long term use. However undergoing a hair transplant is even more serious than that.

Thanks Arfy,

Taking drugs for a long term is very problematic. First for the side effects.

What is DHT ? if you block DHT isn t it going to "revenge" on some other things ?. that is those sort of questions that prevent me for going to it for a long time.

Of course going through HT is apparently more dramatic.

Best choices of all, is to accept the fact of getting thinner hair. but ouch this one is not easy, especially when you ve already had precdent HT and that it is now more noticable that if you didn t do anythng at all.

harry,

Thanks for posting on the boards. My advice to you would be, if you don't know what DHT is, don't even consider a hair transplant until you do some studying on hairloss in general. I agree 100% with arfy. Get on the meds as long as you aren't experiencing side effects.

DHT is what attacks your hair follicles and slowly kills them. Propecia blocks DHT in most men and helps maintain and possibly even grow back some of the dying hair that was once effected by DHT. Minoxodil is a stimulant that does not block DHT. It will help possibly regrow some hair, but it's not as effective as Propecia in most people. Research both meds, go to Rogaine's site and Propecia and read about them and what they can do for you. I hope this helps.

Bill

I used to have concerns about being on a drug for life, and now that I've been on Proscar (I cut it into 5ths) for over a year, I only wish I had started it sooner. The only possible concern is if you want to have kids, and even that is nonsense, the chances of 1 mg per day of finasteride affecting a fetus are insanely low ... but try convincing a woman of that and see how far you get. That aside, I was MISERABLE with hair loss. What's the point of living a life if you hate the way you look....with one transplant done, one to come, and finasteride working for me (photo evidence indicates that it is in fact having a positive effect on my midscalp to crown), I can honestly tell you I haven't been this happy in many years. So I'll keep taking it.

Evidence has shown that upon initial start of the drug Finasteride a dose as low as .02 mg *can* be just as effective as the full 1 mg recommended dose. This .02 mg dose will not be as effective as the 1 mg dose for everyone and it is not permanent. A kind of "rule of thumb" that has been established is that a 1 mg dose 3 or 4 times per week will give similar results for the first 5 or 6 months.

Robert's medicinal disclaimer icon_smile.gif :Consult your own physician about this regimen as your needs may differ and this is not the recommended daily dosage of finasteride.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog