Can Sufficient Density be acheived with "thin" hair?

Hi Guys

I was sitting here thinking (smell the smoke? lol))

Is it possible for a transplant to have a pretty good amount of density even though the patient has naturally thin hair? Would it just take more grafts to achieve desired fullness?

I have thin hair by nature, but I always had allot of hair. I already had 590 grafts in the front of my head where it is thinning. The rest of my hair seems fine for now.

I am just thinking in terms of the future. I think I am going to need another HT in the future. Even with the 590 grafts, I definately still have a see through scalp, and need more density.

Let me know if you guys think this is possible in women.

Thanks

Jenn

Hi Guys

I was sitting here thinking (smell the smoke? lol))

Is it possible for a transplant to have a pretty good amount of density even though the patient has naturally thin hair? Would it just take more grafts to achieve desired fullness?

I have thin hair by nature, but I always had allot of hair. I already had 590 grafts in the front of my head where it is thinning. The rest of my hair seems fine for now.

I am just thinking in terms of the future. I think I am going to need another HT in the future. Even with the 590 grafts, I definately still have a see through scalp, and need more density.

Let me know if you guys think this is possible in women.

Thanks

Jenn

Jenn

The short answer to your question is "yes" it's possible to get good coverage. You sort of answered your own question, but I would make a small distinction...there are two different issues at play.

Hair shaft diameter (coarse vs. thin) which has been described as a bigger factor in coverage than even the total number of grafts (!) Coarse hair just covers a lot more area.

Density is slightly different. My understanding is that density in the donor area is related to what the percentages of single follicle FUs, double follicle FUs, triple follicle FUs are (I may be wrong about that). I believe that most peoples' FUs are the same distance apart... so people with "high density" tend to have less singles, and more doubles and triple FUs than average (everyone has a mix). A person with low density would have more single FUs than average.

I think what you are asking is can you have good coverage with fine hair. As you guessed, the answer is yes, but you will just need more grafts to do the job than a coarse-haired person would. Since it seems like your hair is fine, if you happen to have good density (lots of doubles and triples) that would be helpful.

One other thing to keep in mind... the definition of "fine hair" and "medium hair" covers a huge range. Many people think they have fine hair, and can come to find out that their hair actually rates somewhere in the middle. (I believe Jotronic might be an example of that...?) So even though you might believe your hair is fine, it isn't necessarily true... you might have average hair "bulk" even though it seems on the "fine" side to you. It's not as helpful as having coarse hair, but your hair just may be "average".

following what arfy says - the best way to harvest those double and triple FU's would be using FUE. Unlike the strip method where the doc has to work with what's in the strip, in FUE the doc can control what size FU he's extracting, and focus on the ones yielding best results. I'm not an expert, but FUE would be also a better choice for women, as they are very unlikely to shave their head (and even then the scars are virtually undetectable).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

I think Arfy got it right on the money. Thanks for asking the question as I had the same one in mind myself. And thanks, Arfy, for your answer. I didn't consider the two- and three-hair FU thing.

Jenn, by the way, I was unaware you'd had an HT. Hey, you may not follow my long rambling posts much or know me well, but I'm rather lazy about reading up here--pathetic, I know. I read in opposite proportion to how much I write here.

Sorry all! icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, good question.

Micro, I have a question for you but I'm going to start a new topic as you may never read this.

Cheers,

Pic icon_cool.gif