Is it Possible for Transplant to Fail?

Hello guys,

First post, but I've been snooping around for a while. Foremost, I've set up an appointment with Dr. Reed in La Jolla in January, but hoping I can get called from the standby list asap. So that's taken care of, but I'm a little nervous.

I'm 26, NW6, and had my first surgery at MHR (insert hateful comment here) when I was 23 and it was a really horrible experience. Primarily, I blame myself for not following up on Finasteride and/or Minoxidil, but MHR really left a bad hypertrophic scar at the donor area.

Now, amongst my consultations with Dr. Ziering, Rassman, and Reed, all of them are concerned with if I'll have the ability for a 3rd procedure to get the crown denser. My goal is great density up front and good coverage in my crown.

Being that my first procedure didn't go very well, I am wondering if it's possible for a hair transplant to go awry. Not grow, etc. I know I have a great doctor booked, but getting a little worried. I don't want to piss 15k away in 2 procedures with crappy results.

Any words of wisdom?

I would not be concerned with your surgery going awry in terms of growth. It is very rare to get poor growth. YEs it is a risk and reported and even in the best hands, it happens. Sometimes we do not understand why patients get poor growth when all factors are equal. This is described in the literature and textbooks. It would be very rare that something would go wrong with the doctors you listed. I know them well. As for the "etc." that opens the box on a host of other questions and expectations regarding density coverage etc that hopefully you have cleared with your physician. If you have a rendency for a hypertrophic scar,there is always a risk of the same even with the best surgeon. Some individuals have a genetic tendeny towards stretch scars or thickening of the scars. Keep close followup with your doctor to evaluate the condition early on. If it starts to thicken, you need to follow-up closely so they can minimize the effect. It is best to treat thickened scars early after surgery.

Ricardo Mejia MD

Jupiter Dermatology and Hair Restoration

The996,

Welcome to our community.

I'm not sure I agree 100% with Dr. Mejia.

Ultimately growth yield depends on the proper care of the grafts as they are being excised/extracted, as they are dissected (if via strip), and as they are placed. FUE brings in some additional risks of graft transection due to the twisting, squeezing, and pulling forces on the follicular unit.

The most important step taken to minimize these risks is to select a first-rate hair transplant physician who has proven to yield consistent high hair growth yield.

Dr. Reed and Dr. Rassman are both coalition physicians and do excellent work. Use the "find feature" of this community to see what their patients have been saying. There isn't a lot of information about Dr. Ziering on our network.

Bill