Need Proscar Help

So I've decided from doing some research that getting on Proscar as soon as possible would be the best plan for me.

However, I have not been having any luck getting my hands on any. I contacted Dr. Scott Alexander in Phoenix but the person I spoke with said that they are not allowed to prescribe Proscar to anyone. I have also tried a few other places.

I desperately want to get a prescription but can not seem to get it. I'm not sure if it is because I am young and my hairloss is minimal?

But I am hoping to get some good feedback of specific places where Proscar is prescribed. I'm not sure if people want to chime in with names, but I am just having a really difficult time locating it.

So I've decided from doing some research that getting on Proscar as soon as possible would be the best plan for me.

However, I have not been having any luck getting my hands on any. I contacted Dr. Scott Alexander in Phoenix but the person I spoke with said that they are not allowed to prescribe Proscar to anyone. I have also tried a few other places.

I desperately want to get a prescription but can not seem to get it. I'm not sure if it is because I am young and my hairloss is minimal?

But I am hoping to get some good feedback of specific places where Proscar is prescribed. I'm not sure if people want to chime in with names, but I am just having a really difficult time locating it.

BobbySand-

I'm not sure what the hangup is..............I didn't know any of the HT Doc's had a problem prescribing Proscar instead of Propecia. I get my script from my Doc from HT#1.

You may want to just check with some of the dermatologists in your area and see if they have a problem prescribing it for hairloss before you see them. This will at least save you the fee for any office visits.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

BobbySand,

Yeah, my HT doctor had no problem giving me the prescription either. In fact, he prescribed

generic 5mg Finasteride which is even cheaper than Proscar. Since I have prescription drug insurnace coverage,my copay delta between the two is 6x.

Hairbank,

I do have a question for you though. The prescription I currently have is only good for one year,and I was told this is the maximum allowed by the law,which means I need to get a new prescription every year. You said you got yours from HT #1 doctor,which I see is back in 2005. Did you have any trouble getting new prescription from the same doctor every year? If no,did he charge you a fee for new prescription?

Bobbysand, The reason Dr. Alexander does not prescribe proscar is because it is a Urinary drug not a hairloss drug & he could get in trouble.

Propecia is the only legally prescribed drug

for hairloss.

Your general doctor might stretch the rules & prescribe proscar.

Originally posted by Bill_the_bald:

Hairbank,

I do have a question for you though. The prescription I currently have is only good for one year,and I was told this is the maximum allowed by the law,which means I need to get a new prescription every year. You said you got yours from HT #1 doctor,which I see is back in 2005. Did you have any trouble getting new prescription from the same doctor every year? If no,did he charge you a fee for new prescription?

BTB-

I just started taking Proscar after HT #2 a little over 1 year ago, and, I take it every other day therefore my script will last me another 9-10 months before I need it renewed. That being said...........I didn't go see him to get the script......just called and mentioned I'd gotten HT #1 from him and needed a Proscar script, he had his office call it in to my local pharmacy. I'm assuming when I need it renewed it won't be an issue but who knows, he may want to see me. He didn't charge me a fee for the script.

Hope this helps.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

oh yea, just one more quick question (didn't really think it deserved its own thread)

i am going to be spending a year in costa rica. if i finally do get the proscar prescription would i be able to continue to fill it while in costa rica?

thanks

Originally posted by BobbySand:

oh yea, just one more quick question (didn't really think it deserved its own thread)

i am going to be spending a year in costa rica. if i finally do get the proscar prescription would i be able to continue to fill it while in costa rica?

thanks

I highly doubt it. A prescription for meds in the U.S. is not likely acceptable in another country. I remember when having my HT in Canada I asked Dr. Wong for a script but since I would be purchasing meds in the U.S. it wouldn't have worked.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Bobbysand,

It would be better to stock up on your meds (any meds) before you leave. If you have refills on them, most pharmacies will give you a "vacation override" so you have enough until you return. Hairbank is right, in fact prescriptions are usually not even transferrable from one state to another unless those states have agreements with one another.

Milesdaily

Just to toss in my two cents... I asked my HT doc about a proscar prescription, having paid for brand name propecia for almost 3 years now. He said nope, cant do it, its only prescribed for prostate problems.

I know it is not "only" prescribed for that, but the point is... it does seem like some hair docs just won't/ dont like prescibing it. I'm gonna be doing some shopping around myself... I like the idea of 5mg generic stuff!