minoxidil a waste of time

homer

Having been using minoxidil for many months now i havent really seen any results and to be honest dont think i will see any. I dont really think this a product that we should put a lot of faith in, in general; it doesnt stop hair from falling out but is meant to promote new hair. This is true to some extent but the new hair is usually wispy crap and isn't really worth spending hundreds of pounds a yearon. I am sure if i rubbed in goats milk into my head as much as your meant to use minoxidil it would grow some hair. Anyone had good results on this?

Having been using minoxidil for many months now i havent really seen any results and to be honest dont think i will see any. I dont really think this a product that we should put a lot of faith in, in general; it doesnt stop hair from falling out but is meant to promote new hair. This is true to some extent but the new hair is usually wispy crap and isn't really worth spending hundreds of pounds a yearon. I am sure if i rubbed in goats milk into my head as much as your meant to use minoxidil it would grow some hair. Anyone had good results on this?

homer, I read somewhere minoxidil works in only 10% of the people, so the odds are hopelessly stacked against you. I have been using it for 8 months without any luck. Are you planning to get off it? I want to, but little apprehensive if getting off would cause excessive shedding. Anyone has any insight?

My doc recommended to use it on my recipient area 2 weeks after transplant. I was told that it increases blood flow, and speeds up something with DNA (forgot what - regeneration?). I may do that.

I see what you're saying about results though. I was also using it on my crown, and ended up giving up after a week or so. I was tired of white flakes it would leave all over the place. A pill is so much easier.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

I think the percentages for Minoxidil are a little better than that... maybe 40%? Not nearly as good as Propecia, but they do two different things.

Propecia is a DHT inhibitor, which addresses one of the root causes. Minoxidil is a growth stimulator. I've heard these two can work best in combination.

If Minoxidil doesn't work for you, it doesn't mean it "doesn't work"... it just didn't work for you. It doesn't work for everybody, nothing does.

Also, these drugs can take time to see results. It doesn't happen in the space of a few months... many times it takes longer, even MUCH longer.

I am using 5% Minoxidil for the 4 weeks before my HT and plan to use it for the following 8 weeks after the HT.

I have already been on Proscar for 9 months and hope that the combination will help minimize shock loss and provide a better environment in the recipient area. Of course I already purchased my "single patient pack" of Graftcyte for use immediately after the HT.

After the Minoxidil I may try a bottle of Folligen spray to continue to promote growth and healing, but expect that after 6 months I will be back to Proscar ONLY.

Hey....at least I have a plan I guess.

Arfy, what is your 40% figure all about, where did you get it from? What does it mean; 40% of men using it grew one hair, grew all there hair back or what? You must be careful with figures as they can mean many things, and if from the company are probably misleading. It is widely known that the effects of minoxidil have been overplayed by the company for a long time.

I have been thinking about using minox for a while now and have asked a lot of people that are on it ans doctors about effectiveness.Seems the overal opinions is that it is best at rejuvinating hairs that are starting to miniturize and help keep what you have.I do not think it will grow decent hair on slick bald spots or hair that is just about gone from site.But Finasteride and minox should be part of your maintenance program after Ht.I will let you know how it turns out with me.

I apologize, my "statistic" was from the top of my head. I was just trying to say that the 10 percent success rate someone else quoted was too low, but on the other hand Minoxidil is not quite as effective as Propecia.

Here's some statistics, also a little vague. A lot depends on how severe your hair loss is, how long you've been losing hair, etc:

http://www.rogaine.com/2_scientificstudies.asp