Questions on 2nd HT for veterans and surgeons

Guest dude1

Some background first: I've been balding since my twenties. Now, a "young 60", I have had one HT session a year ago which left me with thin coverage in the frontal and mid-scalp region. The hair I was combing over the area has thinned a little.

This Fall I am planning on having another session to add density; will probably try for 3 sessions total. I know many advocate 1 or 2 large sessions but I started down the road of a modest number of sessions so will continue. I was at a NW 7. The 1st session did make a noticable difference but coverage is still thin. I have been on Proscar for 2 years to try to keep the hair I comb over.

Some concerns (I'd like input from anybody who has been there or from surgeons please):

How much shock fallout can I expect percentage-wise to my previously transplanted hair? 30%, 50% ? Does it vary greatly by individual?

How thin will my donor area appear after 3 sessions?

Will recovery/regrowth be different from the 1st

session?

Will I have to care for the grafts any differently since I now have some much longer transplanted hair in the same area?

Since everyone's hair thins somewhat later in life, will the transplanted hair also do the same?

My expectations are modest but I would like to get to a point of medium density in front and mid-scalp so I can loose the combed over look.

Thanks for your help

[This message was edited by dude1 on August 18, 2003 at 10:47 AM.

[This message was edited by dude1 on August 18, 2003 at 11:13 AM.]

Some background first: I've been balding since my twenties. Now, a "young 60", I have had one HT session a year ago which left me with thin coverage in the frontal and mid-scalp region. The hair I was combing over the area has thinned a little.

This Fall I am planning on having another session to add density; will probably try for 3 sessions total. I know many advocate 1 or 2 large sessions but I started down the road of a modest number of sessions so will continue. I was at a NW 7. The 1st session did make a noticable difference but coverage is still thin. I have been on Proscar for 2 years to try to keep the hair I comb over.

Some concerns (I'd like input from anybody who has been there or from surgeons please):

How much shock fallout can I expect percentage-wise to my previously transplanted hair? 30%, 50% ? Does it vary greatly by individual?

How thin will my donor area appear after 3 sessions?

Will recovery/regrowth be different from the 1st

session?

Will I have to care for the grafts any differently since I now have some much longer transplanted hair in the same area?

Since everyone's hair thins somewhat later in life, will the transplanted hair also do the same?

My expectations are modest but I would like to get to a point of medium density in front and mid-scalp so I can loose the combed over look.

Thanks for your help

[This message was edited by dude1 on August 18, 2003 at 10:47 AM.

[This message was edited by dude1 on August 18, 2003 at 11:13 AM.]

I've had 5 HT's and each one the schock loss was about the same less than 10% and that grew back quickly. YOu dont have to care for your grafts any different than you did the first time. THe graft regrowth will be slightly slower the 2nd and 3rd time around-- about 12 months to get full regrowth vs 6-9 months on your first HT. THe grafts will start growing about a month later that the first HT and at a slighlty slower pace. YOur donor area will take longer to recover the "feeling"-- it will be numb for a year and takes a while for the nerves to regenerate around the scar tissue of 2-3 extractions.

THe donor area will not appear much "thinner" but your back hairline on your neck will move up about 1/2 inch after 3 surgeries until the scalp elastic comes back which takes about 12-18 months-- this is the reason to wait at least 12 months before extra HT's to allow for more elastic therefore improving your results on your scarring in the donor area (the tighter your scalp usually the wider the scar--looser the finer the scar).

Hope that answer's your questions-- just from experience. BY the way, I hope your using one of the better FU doctors for an awesome result.