Hairloss worst with proscar, Help!

I have been taking Proscar now for approximately two and a half months and it seems as if my hair loss has increased slightly. What should I do? Is this common for the first couple of months or what? Has anyone experienced this and will it get better over time? Someone help!! Thanks.

diamond-

Do a little searching using the "find" feature here and input the word "shed" or "shedding". Yes, unfortunately this is a common occurance for those starting out with Proscar/Propecia (Finasteride). What's happening is that a "more than normal" amount of your hair is getting kicked into the telogen or "resting" phase all at once. At any given time, 10% of your hair is in the telogen phase. For reasons unknown, Proscar/Propecia can sometimes kick a larger quantity of hair, say 30% or more, into the telogen phase all at once making your hair appear thinner thus the "shedding" phase. The good news is that the telogen phase lasts around 6 weeks so they will all return.......hopefully stronger since you're taking a DHT blocker. I've read of some sheds within the first 2 months, at the 6 month mark, even up to 8-9 months..........just keep taking the Proscar and you'll work your way through it.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks Hairbank. I've done quite a bit of searching on this site as you recommended and I don't recall seeing the shedding process last that long. The most I saw was about six weeks. I will continue to take proscar and see what happens. Thanks again for the advise. Peace.

Guest Cousin_It

diamond...

Just ride it out. Some people do not shed, some shed alot, but eventually it will end, then the good part hopefully starts. Best of Luck!

Originally posted by diamond:

Thanks Hairbank. I've done quite a bit of searching on this site as you recommended and I don't recall seeing the shedding process last that long. The most I saw was about six weeks. I will continue to take proscar and see what happens. Thanks again for the advise. Peace.

diamond-

Just wanted to be sure you understood me..........I wasn't saying that the Shed itself would last any longer than 6 weeks, just that it COULD occur at the 2 month mark, 6 month..........who knows?? icon_confused.gif As was mentioned, some shed, some don't. IF you shed, it will likely last the 6 week Telogen (resting) phase then come back. icon_smile.gif

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Funny thing happened......After I posted my original message the shedding seemed to significantly decrease. Instead of having 15 hairs in my hand when I shower, I have about 5 tops. I think it is working now or starting to work......I am definately going to continue. Should I expect any other shedding stages in the future?

Not that it can't happen again (because it can), but I believe it's more prevalent when you first start.

Stop counting how many hairs you have when showering icon_biggrin.gif !! That would drive me bananas! LOL. I couldn't anyway if I wanted to because I'm nearsighted and don't have my contacts in icon_cool.gif.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog