Is it a must to take Finasteride before HT?

Hello all,

I didn't start taking Finasteride yet, and I have a plan to get HT procedure for 3000-4000 grafts, I am confused and afraid of the permanent shockloss! Do you think I have to take Finasteride for few months before going to the procedure?

Hello all,

I didn't start taking Finasteride yet, and I have a plan to get HT procedure for 3000-4000 grafts, I am confused and afraid of the permanent shockloss! Do you think I have to take Finasteride for few months before going to the procedure?

You don't need to take propecia before a HT but from what I've been told and read it can help in preventing some shock loss. I know after my last HT I still had quite a bit of shock loss even while on propecia, maybe it would've been even worse had I not been on it, I don't know.

You have to know that a HT is not a cure and if you do not treat your hairloss your native hair (i.e. not transplanted) will continue to be susceptible to DHT which will cause your genetically susceptible hair follicles to fall out. A HT also adds trauma to your surrounding native hair which can 'fast forward' a hair cycle and shock your hair to fall out. If your hair is weak and about to fall out it may never grow back (permanent shockloss).

Finasteride is clinically proven to slow down, halt hairloss and even in some cases can even regrow dormant hair follicles. If your young and have a HT then you will almost certainly want to go on at least Finasteride to postpone the inevitable future hair loss.

Given that you have a limited donor supply it is always better to try retain your native hair rather than explete your donor supply with HT's. No one will know what the future will bring so you should only rely on having a limited donor supply that you can use.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006