After transplant will my old hair grow the same as before

I am planning a transplant in Dec. I have a fair amount of hair on top and going to get about 5000 grafts over whole of top to thicken it.

I am wondering will my old hair on top grow back in from day one at the same rate as before so that after about a month will I look the same as before the transplant or will I be bald on top until new hair comes in at about 4 months. Does anyone have photos showing similar situation

I am planning a transplant in Dec. I have a fair amount of hair on top and going to get about 5000 grafts over whole of top to thicken it.

I am wondering will my old hair on top grow back in from day one at the same rate as before so that after about a month will I look the same as before the transplant or will I be bald on top until new hair comes in at about 4 months. Does anyone have photos showing similar situation

1ainslie,

There is a possible risk of telogen effluvium (shock loss) that can occur to natural hair as a result of trauma to the scalp during surgery. This can happen any time hair is transplanted in between or around existing native hair. Unless the "shocked" hairs were already significantly miniaturized and on last limbs due to male pattern baldness, all of the shocked hair should return most likely between 4 to 8 months. Any hair that survives the trauma (no shock loss) will grow at the same rate as before. New transplanted hair however, will go dormant for several months and enter into the hair regrowth process 3 to 5 months later.

Additionally, some hair restoration physicians require shaving of the recipient area prior to surgery. Since hair usually grows about 1/2 inch a month, it could take several months for your hair length to return to what it was prior to hair transplant surgery.

I hope this helps.

Bill