Is there a chance that they will not shed?

Just had an HT done 15 days ago and nothing has shed. As far as I can tell not one has shed and my recipient area is very healthy. All the scabs are gone and the redness is very minimal. I would love for them to just keep growing and feel like they already are. Is there any hope that I can retain the majority of the transplanted hairs?

Just had an HT done 15 days ago and nothing has shed. As far as I can tell not one has shed and my recipient area is very healthy. All the scabs are gone and the redness is very minimal. I would love for them to just keep growing and feel like they already are. Is there any hope that I can retain the majority of the transplanted hairs?

i just had fut 3 weeks ago and i still have 80%

of original hairs transplanted,but they are slowly

going and falling out with every shower.the single

one hairs in front seem to go first.the threes and

fours are still in there but i'm sure will fall

out soon.i wouldn't worry too much about that now

those follicles need to rest and produce healthy

hair down the road.it is cool though to see hair

in places you haven't in some time.keep us posted

and good luck and growth. icon_rolleyes.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

Thanks for the info Figsy! I am hoping to retain as much as possible up front. When did you start noticing the shedding? And when do you think the new FU's will start becoming noticable? Thanks.

LOOKIN 4,

i started shedding at the 2 1/2 week point

and it has continued slowly.i'm not sure i understand,when you ask about the new fu's being

noticeable,they're noticeable now as thick 1/2

inch hairs,problem is they're not groomable,so

the hair i have lft in front has all these stubble

hairs to the left and right,kinda weird looking

but i can start to visualize the future result

6 months from now and it makes me happy.what will

happen for both of us is we'll shed the ht hairs

and have that balded area look for a few months

but it will be worth it in the end.keep us posted

lookin4 - Most of your transplanted hairs will be gone by 4-6 weeks post-op. Start of regrowth varies a lot, and could be any time from 3-12 months, though most people see them at 3-4 months.

For me, some transplants didn't shed, but I would say only a few percent. My regrowth started at about 12 weeks.

Just trying to gauge what my chances are of retainig a majority of the hairs that have been transplanted. I don't have a whole lot up there in front and I'm really enjoying the little guys being there.

Did anyone see any sort of rise and fall in terms of the amount you shed. I'm noticing a few hairs here and there falling out but nothing substantial. Just wondering if the shed will increase in intensity or stay and discontinue eventually after say 8 weeks leaving a considerable amount. I'm currently 17 days post op. I know I'm getting my hopes up but just curious to other people experiences.

Thanks

Lookin4

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Clint -

Yes, it happens, but with most people (including myself) the ones that don't shed are only a few percent of the total.

I started to shed my new hairs within the first week after procedure #1

Shedding didn't occur until week 2 after session #2.

I think it's hard to say. Overall most everyone sheds about 80-90% of new hairs within the first month. Atleast this is the statistic that I have read numerous times.

My doctor made sure to tell me plenty of times not to panic. It is to be expected. 2 sessions later and I am a very happy person.

The surgeon I saw said almost none of his patients ever shed the transplanted hairs. He said no one believes him. I didn't really believe him either. The two guys I knew that had the procedure with him didn't shed. My transplants started growing within a couple of weeks and I didn't shed either. The work is neat, no scars or irregularities in recipient area. Hairs about 1 1/2 after 5 months.

The huge down side which will make me go to a surgeon outside Chicago for my next transplant is that my surgeon uses only micro transplants. After seeing the other guys finish their work, I'm surprised how good the hairlines look with this method. But they had to spend a lot of money to get there. The surgeon does a hair at a time, not too close together and no mega sessions. I have no idea if we were the three lucky non-shedders or if there is something about his method that minimizes shedding.

But to finish my hairline, I just won't take any chances. I'll travel for follicular units. It's clearly state of the art. If I shed, it's worth it. I want the best possible look aesthetically.