Dr. Gillespie

Rohans

The work that I have seen from Dr. Gillespie is OK but a little more conservative and old school. Go to Edmonton and talk to Dr. Nakatsui. From what I have seen he is awesome and likely one of the elite worldwide. Trust me on this call.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Originally posted by Rohans:

Thanks NervousNelly for replying. I am trying to find a member who actually has experience with Dr. Gillespie. Thanks in advance.

Hi Rohans-as a long time lurker here I find it ironic that my 1st post would be of an advisory nature however as I live in Alberta and have been debating a transplant for some time-like around a decade or so and have finally decided to move ahead I narrowed it down to 3 surgeons so here goes.

My choices were Hasson, Gillespie and Nakatsui.

I have consulted with both Dr Gillespie and Dr. Nakatsui face to face and I strongly advise a trip to Edmonton to visit with Dr. N

I think you will find it quite a different consult as opposed to Dr. G and worth the time, I did.

My Hair Loss Weblog

Rohans,

Welcome to our community.

Dr. Gillespie is one of our recommended hair restoration physicians and does solid follicular unit hair transplantation though I believe he is typically more conservative doing smaller sessions.

As NervousNelly pointed out, I would definitely also consider consulting with Dr. Nakatsui who is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Surgeons.

To learn more about the difference between our recommended and coalition physicians, click here.

I'd also suggest using the find feature of our forum community in order to see what hair transplant patients are saying about these hair restoration physicians.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks Agio for your reply, I was looking to communicate with somebody from Alberta. My first appointment with Dr. Gillespie is set for December 11th. what's your status in regards to hair transplant currently? (I mean have you already done it, or about to go for it or still thinking about it). Cost wise how do Dr. Gillespie and Dr. Nakatsui compare?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Rohans

Welcome Rohans. I have never had a transplant and have finally decided to have it done. Slated for late January with Dr. Nakatsui in Edmonton. Shame it's so far away given it's taken me a decade to decide to get it done. Too much time to think about it some more, lol

Anyhow, I decided to go with Nakatsui as he is local and I simply felt more comfortable with him. His technique is cutting edge, no pun intended and he appears to do many more grafts/hairs in a single session than Dr. G. In my case this was a big determining factor as I need approx 4500 or so grafts to achieve the final result I will be happy with. With Dr N's technique and team we may be able to pull that off in one shot(that all depends on how many hairs he he gets out of the donor area)but are planning for 3500 minimum based on the initial consult.

In my consult with Dr. Gillespie we were talking about 2400 grafts maximum in one session.

I think both are probably excellent but I personally felt Dr. Nakatsui would give me optimum results given my wants and the research I've done.

As for price, I think Nakatsui is slightly more expensive but it's an apples to oranges comparison as their techniques are quite different.

Hope all of that helps.

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. Nakatsui

Thanks Agio, I went for my initial consult with Dr. G, He recomended 2400 grafts in front and leave the back as it is and the re evalute after wards. I have requested appointment with Dr. N in edmonton though I have to travel from Calgary to see him. Dr. G also gave me prescription for Proscar Finasteride.

I will make my decision after seeing Dr.N, keep me updated on your progress, Are you taking any medications?

Rohans

What did you think of Dr. G? Sounds about the same consult as I had with him. He's only equippped to do that many in one session. In the end it's all about hairs not grafts I think. I'm not on any meds.

I'm booked for the session with Dr. N 3rd week of January so barring geting hit by a train or the like I've told Pat that I would create a blog of the process. As you won't be able to get in with Dr. N before that date, maybe it'll be helpful to you.

Who knows, I feel comfortable and confident with my decision but until it's actually been done and the results start to show, all of it means squat.

My Hair Loss Weblog

• 1 year later...

hi agio and rohans,

I live in Calgary and I'm considering getting a hair transplant surgey either from Dr G in Calgary or Dr. N in Edmonton. You guys had mentioned that you would be having your surgery in 2008. Did you have it? who did you finally go with? Was it successful? I'm very anxious about getting myself into this thing, as I don't really know if it works and if real patients are happy with it. I'd very much appreciate it if you reply back.

Thanks

Tim

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...