Considering Hair Replacement Procedure

Hi everyone.

I'm in my early 20's and am beginning to deal with the fact that I am losing my hair. I have always had a pretty dramatic widow's peak, but now I am losing hair on the sides of it, creating somewhat of a pronounced triangle. Despite only losing a few square inches of hair on my head, I'm having trouble dealing with it.

My question is, what type of treatment am I a candidate for?

I would consider a surgery, replacing the small areas that I've lost shouldn't be terribly difficult, but my ultimate fear would be to keep losing my hair after the surgery, while the lifetime replacement hair would stay strong, leaving me looking like a bad joke.

I'm sure there are guys out there a lot more bald than I am, but it's still tough to deal with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone.

I'm in my early 20's and am beginning to deal with the fact that I am losing my hair. I have always had a pretty dramatic widow's peak, but now I am losing hair on the sides of it, creating somewhat of a pronounced triangle. Despite only losing a few square inches of hair on my head, I'm having trouble dealing with it.

My question is, what type of treatment am I a candidate for?

I would consider a surgery, replacing the small areas that I've lost shouldn't be terribly difficult, but my ultimate fear would be to keep losing my hair after the surgery, while the lifetime replacement hair would stay strong, leaving me looking like a bad joke.

I'm sure there are guys out there a lot more bald than I am, but it's still tough to deal with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you may just be developing a mature hairline... first, I would recommend finasteride (propecia, proscar); if you are in the early stages of MBP and have a lot of hair, which it sounds like you do, finasteride can be very effective; it may help you maintain what you have and maybe regrow some hair; you can get proscar and cut it into quarters and it is much cheaper than propecia;

at your age and the minimal loss that it sounds like you have, I would not recommend a HT; you don't know how much hairloss you are destined to have at such a young age; if you try to "fill-in" to maintain an adolescent hairline, it will not look age appropriate as you get older and you will run out of donor hair to continue to fill in as the hair reecedes.

So in summary, give finasteride a try and wait a few years to see how your hairloss is progressing; also, pics might help in evaluating your situation.

Can't add much to Dhoose's comments. Get on meds to stabilize the loss.. You are much too early for a HT

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Dhoose makes a good point. You may be developing a more mature hairline. This is not necessarily indicative of male pattern baldness (although it might be). I would check in with your doctor and see if medical therapy is appropriate. BTW, if you do not have MPB, taking drugs is not a good idea. If you are losing your hair due to MPB, meds can buy you a lot of time.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

riley,

Welcome to our community.

There's not a whole lot I can add to our community member's posts as they have given you some excellent advice.

As dhoose75 and theHairLossCure stated, it may or may not be male pattern baldness. But hair loss medication such as Propecia and Rogaine are your best line of defense against it.

Young hair loss sufferers who just started to lose their hair are not good hair transplant candidates.

Best wishes,

Bill