Cobblestones

Hello, I have recently undergone a hair transplant and am recovering from the side effects of it swelling and black eyes . The swelling is all gone but my eyes are still blackened. It is day 9 there are no more scabs . What concerns me now is the temple area has raised bumps where the hairs were inserted and irregular texture they are very obvious and not lend to a good look if everything else goes ok . is time of the essence here as I may be able to pluck them out or is this normal at this stage as this area has softer skin and I should wait.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

Hello, I have recently undergone a hair transplant and am recovering from the side effects of it swelling and black eyes . The swelling is all gone but my eyes are still blackened. It is day 9 there are no more scabs . What concerns me now is the temple area has raised bumps where the hairs were inserted and irregular texture they are very obvious and not lend to a good look if everything else goes ok . is time of the essence here as I may be able to pluck them out or is this normal at this stage as this area has softer skin and I should wait.

Post a picture if you can.

Have a look around on this site and compare the pics you find here with your situation. It should be similar. The redness can stay there quite long, in my case about 6 weeks if I remember correctly.

Even now, after 1 year the transplanted area get a sunburn much faster the the other area. Don't know why that is though.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

I second the motion to call your doctor with your concerns.

Do not pluck them out, no matter what, in my opinion.

1. There is a very good chance you are in the normal healing phase. It is normal for the grafts to level out slightly, over time. If you have real microscopically-dissected FU grafts (see the section Best hair Transplant on the home page) or FUE, it is basically impossible for you to have a problem with cobblestones.

2. Maybe you did not get real FU grafts, and could have a cobblestoning issue (hopefully not, but...) Even so, pulling out those hairs will be a waste of hairs that could be reused later, in a corrective surgery. It's also possible to surround "bad" grafts with good ones, and hide them, with a later procedure. Cobblestones are more common with larger grafts like Minigrafts, but even if you have Minigrafts, there is still a chance you will have no cobblestoning issues at all. All grafts appear to be above the surface at first. At least, that's what I've heard.

You already paid for those grafts financially and with your time and the hassle of surgery. Do not waste them. Try to keep your fingers crossed and let nature take it's course. It is common for some guys who are right out of surgery to have second thoughts, moments of panic, and depression. Do not panic! It is too early to tell anything either way. Follow your doctor's instructions to a "T" and take care of yourself... eat right, get enough sleep, take it easy, pamper your head.

It's going to take a few months before you start to assess your situation accurately.

Who was your doctor? How many grafts, how old are you, how much hairloss did you have, etc? (Just curious.)

Thanks All ,for the sincere advise.

bverotti: I will have to set up for picturesas I have used the computer very little up to this point but am glad I resorted to it during this situation.

Jim:I called my doctor ,he will see me early next week when the stitches come out. I will not touch anything.

Arfy:I do hope this is normal healing process and the bumps level out substancially . What I received were individual folecular units grafts (2500)I am not sure a microscope was used although I was told they were not mini-grafts.As far as corrective surgery goes I hope not I have rewarded myself enough . I am 39 and had lost 50% of the hair on the top of my head with an island of more to the front and recession in the temples.As far as the doctor I would rather not tell tales out of school just yet as I am hoping that your assessments are correct and eating and sleeping sounds like good advice also.

I am grateful for the assistance.