Most informed patients of them all?

Arrie

Guys how do you think the docs of hair transplantation feel about us, extremely knowledgeable pts? Its not like many other forms of cosmetic surgery. Guys we have an extreme knowledge of our insecurity and how the procedure works. We know stuff like later slits, fue vs fut, fus per cm, propecia or proscar, tricho closure, etc... What I am trying to get is that our docs really have to be on their "A" game all the time, hence the reason for the coalition, providing consistent proof. Can you imagine one of our experienced forum members trying to get a somke and mirror answer by some hack doc, that wold never happen. Its nice to know that we have members so dedicated to helping inform others (Pat, Bill, Hairbank, Mrjb, Spex, B-spot) I can keep going. How comfortable does that make you guys feel? It makes me feel great and extremely lucky. I thank you all...

You only live once...

Guys how do you think the docs of hair transplantation feel about us, extremely knowledgeable pts? Its not like many other forms of cosmetic surgery. Guys we have an extreme knowledge of our insecurity and how the procedure works. We know stuff like later slits, fue vs fut, fus per cm, propecia or proscar, tricho closure, etc... What I am trying to get is that our docs really have to be on their "A" game all the time, hence the reason for the coalition, providing consistent proof. Can you imagine one of our experienced forum members trying to get a somke and mirror answer by some hack doc, that wold never happen. Its nice to know that we have members so dedicated to helping inform others (Pat, Bill, Hairbank, Mrjb, Spex, B-spot) I can keep going. How comfortable does that make you guys feel? It makes me feel great and extremely lucky. I thank you all...

You only live once...

Arrie,

I have talked to Pat about this very same thing, and from what I hear, most hair transplant physicians (especially those performing state of the art hair transplantation) really appreciate a "veteraned" and knowledgeable patient. Honestly, in a lot of ways, it makes their job easier, not the surgical aspect, but the teaching, training, etc. It makes the whole hair transplantation process easier for everyone!

Of course, I would love to hear from a doctor on this thread as well.

Bill

The elite, progressive docs would have to prefer a patient to be as informed as possible; whereas inferior clinics are scared and threatened -- rightfully so -- of losing business or being exposed for producing subpar results.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

the more informed a patient is has to be a good thing for a top dr as they are going in there with realistic expectations and not thinking they will get their nice thick mop of hair back as in their prime.

on the other hand an unethical dr will be thinking please leave as i know you know i`m talking cr*p.

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

I went to a hair mill about a year or two ago and asked them about some of their procedures like ultra refined follicular transplantation, tricho closure, use of custom blades and sizes, etc... Needles to say the Dr seemed to be almost insulted stating stuff like I am certified in this and that, I have all the certs that are out there, and pretty much got to the point that he was spitting out a bunch of doc terms trying to downplay my legitimate questions. It seemed like he was upset that I had knowledge of the procedure and I wasn't going to be an easy sell. He tried to make me feel inferior and that was that for me never to go back to that place again... The free consult lasted a total of 15 min, then he had the nerve of saying sorry I got to go and he passed me off to his consultant that was in the room the whole time. I would like to thank that doc for making me search deeper and finding this site the coalition and ultimately deciding my final doc.

You only live once...

Arrie,

I think the doctors that are upset with knowledgeable patients are the ones most likely to stay away from. Patient driven communities such as are scary to physicians that don't do quality work. Physicians who feel threatened and even exposed when patients know as much if not more than they do often lead them to hiding behind their credentials.

Bill

No doubt

Great docs like informed patients.You can talk their "trade" with them in an educated manner. During my HT's I actually liked to watch the techs and Dr. True showed my around each area ( custom blades, techs, etc). Even the techs commented on how noone usually walks around and asks questions. I think it is cool

If a doc is hiding something they surely wouldnt like this

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Arrie, Bill et al:

I will be happy to voice my opinion on your thread. I personally feel this is an excellent venue to help and educate patients. I appreciate an educated patient. It makes my job easier. In somecases it made my job harder. FOr example I had a patient who came to me very knowledgable almost demanding I had to do 60 FU/cm2 in one pass all over his NW5 head in order to get a good result. He had soft grey hair which would not have resulted in the best efficient use of his donor and for grey hairs ones and two hair grafts would not have worked for him. Irrespective, I spent almost 2-3 hours in consultation reviewing everything to assure he was comfortable with the plan I set out for him which differed from what he learned or was told on the internet. In the end he was a happy patient.

From what I have seen Bill has been doing an excellent job in balancing out posts. Physicians utilize different techniques different instruments to get great results in their hands with their staff. People have posted very astute questions. SOme have posted generalized statements without any backing whatsoever which IMO is not justified. However, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

There are many ways to produce state of the art hair transplantation, just like there are many different techniques to provide a great face lift. There is no one ideal hairline or hair transplant. Everyone is unique and different and what is appropriate for one may not be appropriate for another. Each transplant has to be uniquely qualified, discussed with the patient for the goals and objectives set out between patient and doctor. Hair transplantation is an evolving field and we are always looking for ways to make things better.

Having educated patients and well balanced discussions and photos on this forum reminds us of what we are doing anyways and can only help the patient get the right help for their needs. Keep up the good posts.

Education without generalization !

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Dr. Mejia,

Thank you for providing your feedback.

It sounds like that one particular patient had some good information but didn't truly understand the concept of limited donor supply, scalp elasticity, and donor density. For a NW5 to receive 60 follicular units per sq cm all over the scalp, they would need approximately 8000 follicular unit grafts (I am estimating approximately 150-180 sq cm of balding area). There have only been a few very rare cases where this was possible in a single session. For some, it may take up to 3 hair transplant sessions to achieve this much.

As you have pointed out, there is no "one size fits all" hair transplant and each case must be taken one at a time.

Thanks for providing your feedback.

Bill