sleeping upright after HT questions??

K,

Have had my 4th HT yesterday and I cannot sleep cause of being uncomfortable trying to prop my head up. Got a question, is sleeping upright recommended for the swelling and to avoid your grafts rubbing against something and getting dislodged only? because I could really care less if I have a little swelling and I know last time I had a HT with Dr. Alexander I had no swelling at all(I think it was due to his small blades and minimal invasiveness). I feel much more comfortable with a pillow resting against my cheek and ear so the pillow never comes close to my grafts thus I never experience any potential rubbing of the grafts, especially this time since they were all midscalp only except for a few up front. Like I said I sleep in a postion that won' bother my grafts. Are there any other reasons for sleeping elevated??? thanks in advance

K,

Have had my 4th HT yesterday and I cannot sleep cause of being uncomfortable trying to prop my head up. Got a question, is sleeping upright recommended for the swelling and to avoid your grafts rubbing against something and getting dislodged only? because I could really care less if I have a little swelling and I know last time I had a HT with Dr. Alexander I had no swelling at all(I think it was due to his small blades and minimal invasiveness). I feel much more comfortable with a pillow resting against my cheek and ear so the pillow never comes close to my grafts thus I never experience any potential rubbing of the grafts, especially this time since they were all midscalp only except for a few up front. Like I said I sleep in a postion that won' bother my grafts. Are there any other reasons for sleeping elevated??? thanks in advance

It's for swelling mainly. But it's also important not put any pressure on the grafts for the first 2 days as they can come out.

I slept with 2 pillows strategically placed so there was no pressure on the grafts for 3-4 days.

By not elevating my head I did get a bit of swelling but it was nothing to worry about and went away in a few days.

You should go down the shop and rent a few DVD's or buy a good book for the next few days.

Best of luck.

Now for the hard part. Waiting.

If you move your head on the pillow you might rub them and they can come out. So try and sleep so the grafts aren't actually touching anything for the first 2-3 nights. Pain in the ass I know but best not to take any chances. They're still a bit fragile and not really imbedded until at least a couple of days. I tried not to let them contact anything for the first few days.

Wash them daily or twice daily by tipping a cup of soapy warm water on them for the first few day or just very gently rub them with shampoo.

Yep. As long as the actual grafts aren't touching and rubbing on the pillow. Also be a little careful of your donor area. You dont want to rip out any staples/stitches.

Its a tough few days.

My grafts were all in the temple area (restoring a female hairline that had receded to a NWII), and I'm normally a side/stomach sleeper, so I asked my doc if I should consider sleeping in a recliner for the first 1-2 weeks to avoid pulling out any of the grafts. He agreed that it was probably a good idea. So that's what I did! Taking a sleep aid (like Lunesta or Ambien CR) during that short time helped a lot, too.