Some basic questions about post-HT recovery

Folks,

This is my first post even though I have been scanning this forum for last few weeks.

I have few questions for folks who have gone thru the HT :

1. How long do you think I need to be away from work after my surgery, if I don't want anyone to know at work ?

2. Do you guys think days off from work may depend on if I go thru FUE or strip process ?

3. If I take 2 weeks off from work, is it possible to shave head (or use #1) after 2 weeks and no once will notice that I have gone thru HT?

4. How much is a typical wait for the surgery ? If I commit to a doctor in next couple of weeks, do you think I can get it done around christmas (easy to take time off during that time) ?

5. Just out of curiosity, if I'm in a financial service business, can I still claim the surgery cost as business expense ? Have anyone successfully done that ?

Thanks in advance.

p.s: I'll be posting my picture soon.

Folks,

This is my first post even though I have been scanning this forum for last few weeks.

1. How long do you think I need to be away from work after my surgery, if I don't want anyone to know at work ?

2. Do you guys think days off from work may depend on if I go thru FUE or strip process ?

3. If I take 2 weeks off from work, is it possible to shave head (or use #1) after 2 weeks and no once will notice that I have gone thru HT?

4. How much is a typical wait for the surgery ? If I commit to a doctor in next couple of weeks, do you think I can get it done around christmas (easy to take time off during that time) ?

5. Just out of curiosity, if I'm in a financial service business, can I still claim the surgery cost as business expense ? Have anyone successfully done that ?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by suntop:

Folks,

2 months

Yes

No

Yes

No

Thanks in advance.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Suntop,

Within 2 weeks the redness in your recipient area should be gone so the only noticeable part of your HT will be your donor area. If you want to be sure that no one can notice your HT you should grow your hair long to around 2-3 inches.

I took 3 weeks off myself and because my donor hair wasnt long I had to use dermmatch to successfully hide the shaved area around the scar.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Look at the evidence, look at all the members pictures at different stages. For every one who was not noticable at 2 weeks, I will show you 10 that were noticiable at one month.

Some guys are lucky, and I am speaking ONLY noticable in the recipient area, my donor area was unnoticable as soon as I left the office (I kept my hair long for covering the strip scar.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Folks,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm trying to upload my pictures, but getting an error because my pictures are exceeding the max allowed limit (300K). Can anyone pls tell me how to reduce the file size of my pictures.

Thanks in advance.

I was undetectable ay 7-8 days post op. There are a number of factors involved in fast recovery. 1. Redness, some people have redness for 4-5 months, some have almost none. 2. If you have hair on top to hide a lot of the work and the doctors dont shave the recipient area that will help a ton.

This is what I'm thinking....having two HTs....first one later this year to cover front and top using FUE....hopefully I don't have to take no more than 2 weeks off from work.....may be if I grow my hair little longer on top, it might hide some of the post-HT effects after two weeks....what do you guys think.

I can have second HT later next year using strip....again if I keep my hair long, I might not have to worry about scar.

Pls share your comments.

I'm missing something. Why would you do FUE if you are planning strip later? Is this related to question number 2? I dissagree with Hairhope's response to that question. The recipient area will look the same no matter if you use FUE or strip. Your hair in the back should cover the strip just fine. Sure Fue is less invasive in the donar area, but if your question is will you have a shorter down time, then the answer is no because the you will be basing your downtime on the recipient area, not the donar area. You've got a lot of area to cover my friend. You need a couple of mega sessions. Go with strip.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Gorpy is right.

Apart from being more expensive, FUE is only suitable for minor sessions and touch-ups of up to around 1200 grafts. If you need more than that you will most likely be doing FUT. Unfortunately with your level of hairloss to get a satisfactory result your going to need the max no of grafts. If I were you I would strive for the max no of grafts in each of your HT's. Get on the Meds now if your not on them already and start doing some scalp excercises to improve your donor laxity.

Good luck suntop, you have a long journey ahead of you.

Originally posted by Gorpy:

Why would you do FUE if you are planning strip later? Is this related to question number 2? QUOTE]

Yes, I would like to have less downtime if possible, but I guess the area I have to cover on the top and on crown, I guess strip may be the only option.

Originally posted by JakeVig:

Get on the Meds now if your not on them already and start doing some scalp excercises to improve your donor laxity.QUOTE]

JakeVig,

I tried rogaine couple years back and I hated it, and since then I haven't tried anything....no wonder I'm keep losing hairs every day.

Now can I just go and buy some of these medicine, or do I need a doctor's precription ? Does normal health insurance cover these medicines ? Which one I should try first ? Any advice how should I go about it ?

Hi suntop,

Well the #1 recommended treatment for hairloss is Finasteride. This is comercially known as Propecia which contains 1mg of Finasteride (the recommended dosage). To save money a lot of people by Proscar (which is 5mg of finasteride) and cut it into 1/4's - it works out much cheaper in the long run. You will need a prescription to get either.

Finasteride works by inhibiting DHT, the cause of MPB. There is some evidence that Minoxidil (Rogaine) works better when used together with Finasteride. You may want to try them both for a while to see if you can conjure up some regrowth. Although unless you have lost your hair within the last few years it will probably be unlikely to expect any regrowth with Minoxidil - you can try it for 4-6 months just to make sure.

In most cases Finasteride will slow/halt your hairloss, though it is still recommended to begin treatment before your HT as it will strengthen your existing hair and limit the amount of 'shockloss' you will have after your HT.

• 2 weeks later...

Folks:

As I'm moving towards my first experience with HT, I'm narrowing down my list of doctors to Dr. Ron Shapiro in Minnesota and Dr Hasson in Vancouver.

Since I'm in california, I'm not sure which doctor will be more convenient for me. Any suggestions ?

Also, do you know what each of these doctors charge per graft for strip surgery ?

Originally posted by suntop:

Folks:

As I'm moving towards my first experience with HT, I'm narrowing down my list of doctors to Dr. Ron Shapiro in Minnesota and Dr Hasson in Vancouver.

Since I'm in california, I'm not sure which doctor will be more convenient for me. Any suggestions ?

Also, do you know what each of these doctors charge per graft for strip surgery ?

Well the docs you mention are amongst the best in the world, you will not go wrong with either one of them.

In terms of cost they are both pretty much the same and they both have tiered pricing based on the number of grafts requested. I know that Ron Shapiro will give you a discount if you have to travel (though Im not sure if it includes national as well as international travel). Its best to just get a free consult for both and get a quote.

Good Luck!

Suntop,

You need lots of grafts............as many as can SAFELY be harvested. I believe the quality of work you'll receive from Hasson and Shapiro are equivalent. Dr. Hasson has consistently harvested big numbers which would make me lean towards him if I were you.

Most places will give you a discount on or pay for your airfare and provide a couple of nights stay in a Hotel at no cost to you. H&W did this for me during HT#2 earlier this year.

I agree with JakeVig...........cost will be pretty much the same. Just consult with both via emailed pics and a phone call and take it from there.

Referring to your first post:

1) Plan on 2 weeks off work for healing, that should be enough. If not, there are some cosmetic ways of hiding donor and/or recipient area.

2) Go with STRIP for the numbers you need, FUE won't come close to giving you any coverage.

3) See my hair loss blog, I strategically clipped the hair to match after HT and no one knew I had it done.

4) Waiting time varies. Sometimes 1 month, sometimes a few. If you'll agree to take a cancelled appointment it may save you a little money.

5) I doubt you can "legally" claim this as a business expense. I know you cannot pay for it under any health plan using pre-tax dollars. I checked it out and the IRS will not exclude any cosmetic surgery.

Hope this helps.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.