So many questions HELP!

I'm currently 30 years old and have been losing my hair since I was 17. Using the norwood scale I would say i'm in the 4A to 5 range. I currenlty use a toppik as a concealer. It was great but i'm now concerned about it being noticable etc (not to mention I hate the cleanup after applying!). I live in NY so i've been looking into Dr.Feller and Dr.True (I also came across Dr.Thomas Law but do not see any posts regarding him. Has anyone used him or have any feedback regarding him?) I guess my biggest questions about proceeding are regarding concealing the transplant after the surgery.

Can you use Toppik or another type conclear? (how soon afterwards?) How noticable is the transplant after a 2 weeks or so (if were to take off work for that long). I have no intention of shaving my head so I would like to keep my current hairstyle (combed forward ceaser type look) while the grafts grow. Also how accurate can "online" consultations be? Or should I not even bother and just make appointments. For someone like Hasson and Wang though I would think I would have to go the "online consulations route". Looking at their website I gotta say the results they post are very impressive I wish they had a NY office. Also has anyone shaved their head after having a transplant? Can you conceal the scar using a concealer? Thanks in advance for your feedback

I'm currently 30 years old and have been losing my hair since I was 17. Using the norwood scale I would say i'm in the 4A to 5 range. I currenlty use a toppik as a concealer. It was great but i'm now concerned about it being noticable etc (not to mention I hate the cleanup after applying!). I live in NY so i've been looking into Dr.Feller and Dr.True (I also came across Dr.Thomas Law but do not see any posts regarding him. Has anyone used him or have any feedback regarding him?) I guess my biggest questions about proceeding are regarding concealing the transplant after the surgery.

Can you use Toppik or another type conclear? (how soon afterwards?) How noticable is the transplant after a 2 weeks or so (if were to take off work for that long). I have no intention of shaving my head so I would like to keep my current hairstyle (combed forward ceaser type look) while the grafts grow. Also how accurate can "online" consultations be? Or should I not even bother and just make appointments. For someone like Hasson and Wang though I would think I would have to go the "online consulations route". Looking at their website I gotta say the results they post are very impressive I wish they had a NY office. Also has anyone shaved their head after having a transplant? Can you conceal the scar using a concealer? Thanks in advance for your feedback

I buzzed my head 2-weeks post-op, and used some concealer on the scar....the 3rd week post-op is where I really made strides, though, regarding concealment....a lot of the redness dissipated, and I was also able to give myself a more uniform cut, which helped in NOT bringing so much attention to the area. After a month I was out and about in pretty much any situation without having to wear a hat.

Also, when/if you do go to conceal it, toppik really isn't the best -- I would use couvre or dermmatch.

Online consultations can be quite good; I happened to have my consult with my eventual doc live, but I know that their e-consults get a lot of good feedback. Personally, however, if you live close enough, I would hike up there and do it in person -- you can get a real good feel for things.

Just a little more scattershod info: I took the first 2weeks and just laid low, for the most part...I wasn't housebound, however, and I just worse a cool -- and loose fitted -- hat around when I decided to venture out....went to movies, did some shopping, met up with a friend....and again, for me, it was the 3rd week post-op that I feel I made my biggest strides, relatively speaking, and regarding concealment....you can take a look at my weblog, I have a bunch of pics of me 2weeks post-op recipient, and then donor/general after I buzzed.....my biggest regret was just not having some1 shave my head!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Thanks for the reply. Just took a look at your blog and the results looked great! Seeing how you were young when you got the procedure (as I am) do you have any regrets? Are you satisfied with the results? Do you think you will need another other transplant?

Also were you working at the time of surgery? If so did anyone mention anything to you (did you tell anyone you were having it done?). I think this is my biggest fear. Having to tell co-workers etc that I am going to have/ have had the surgery. Also since did you go to any other doctors aside from Feller, and why did you chose him from the rest?

Well, so far things do look fantatic; and I think I have about as good a chance of getting a great result and being satisfied as is possible....but, I am only ~2 months post-op, so I can't "truly" make a call on my final results yet....but, I will say I am *extremely* confident in my decision, and I actually have zero regrets....

Well, except for somehow having a corner of my brain shutdown the night before and having a drink...I do regret that...icon_smile.gif

At the time of surgery I was (still am) working; but, my job has very flexible hours, and I was also able to work out a deal beforehand to make sure I could wear a hat for a bit if necessary....by the 3rd week I was being seen by many, and with a modest application of dermmatch and couvre no1 detected a thing...

I will say this, though: I planted some seeds in the weeks leading up to my HT about having some skin problems...possibly some form of "folliculitus"...very vauge, but reasonable, and it gave me good coverage for anything that did happen to look amiss....the one comment I got was when I was @ physical therapy, and my neck was being worked on...this was 3weeks post-op....the guy said "hey, you wearin a hat earlier"..."uhh, ya...."...."ya, I can kinda see a bit of a red mark onthe back of your head"...and that was that. icon_smile.gif

I def don't think you need to tell co-workers -- especially if you can take some time off AND/OR can wear a hat AND/OR plant some seeds for your potential excuse/reason for anything that does look awry and draws someone's attention.

The real key is the first two weeks; or after you get the staples out and can buzz your head.....if you can't wear a hat during that period of time, and also have to be at work...during the first 10-14 days it will def be noticeable that you did something....I suppose you could always come up with some bizarre story of losing some bet with a friend and having to shave half your scalp, or accidently doing it...I dunno hahaha.

Anyways, I did a lot of research...thankfully....and there were a couple of moments were I was very close to going a certain route, but I ultimately didn't, and decided to only move ahead when I felt 100% confident and certain. I seriously looked at 3 docs, Feller included; though I also examined and considered pretty much everyone out there. Ultimately, I decided on Feller because I felt comfortable with his philosophy and his prognosis and also that he lives and breathes hair restoration. I would recommend (like I do to everyone) to do at least two consults after initial research -- live or online....get a feel for what you will be receiving and your likely results and where that will leave you.....at the same time, understand what the procedure is like -- specifically, the recovery....and then compare the likely experienc with the likely results and go for it if you feel very confident.

Shoot me a PM if you have any other Q's, btw.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!