posting pohoto of spiro results

posted May 01, 2003 10:49 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a repeat of what I tried to do in the drug section to show the effects of spior lotionl It still might not work. Also, this is only a frontal photo. I have some nice surgically virgin top and crown photos I wil post on Saturday.

I will try to post a photo 12 months after my 900 graft transplant and six months after i started using spiro liposomal lotion in the front of my scalp. The spiro grew no hair where none had been for years, but it grew a great deal of hair behind the preop hairline. you should be able to see the contrast if this photo uploads (the file may be too large and i don't have software on this machine to reduce the file size.) If it doesn't work, I'll delete this message and repost on Saturday.Here goes

[This message was edited by paul148 on May 12, 2003 at 03:51 AM.]

preop_frontal_1a.JPG.1b6be04297dbdeb9505dec662464e23a.JPG

posted May 01, 2003 10:49 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a repeat of what I tried to do in the drug section to show the effects of spior lotionl It still might not work. Also, this is only a frontal photo. I have some nice surgically virgin top and crown photos I wil post on Saturday.

I will try to post a photo 12 months after my 900 graft transplant and six months after i started using spiro liposomal lotion in the front of my scalp. The spiro grew no hair where none had been for years, but it grew a great deal of hair behind the preop hairline. you should be able to see the contrast if this photo uploads (the file may be too large and i don't have software on this machine to reduce the file size.) If it doesn't work, I'll delete this message and repost on Saturday.Here goes

[This message was edited by paul148 on May 12, 2003 at 03:51 AM.]

I'll be able to make a clearer photo of this in photo sho on Saturday. But you should be able to see what the medications did for me prior to the first surgery. This was taken in 1995, 7 years before my first surgery.

[This message was edited by paul148 on May 02, 2003 at 12:11 AM.]

preop_frontal_1a.JPG.da896c1aba88413a77b3b53db9821b84.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Shane

"Spiro" is spironolactone, it's a DHT inhibitor. I think women can take it internally, but men must only use it topically because it has feminizing effects (I think that sounds right).

So Paul is using topical Spironolactone, probably along with other drugs like Propecia and Minoxidil.

He might get it at Lipoxidil.com or Minoxidil.com, look at both sites.

Remember that for most guys Propecia is the most effective treatment, and is probably the cornerstone of most guys' medication regimine.

Paul,

you're saying spiro regrow hair in the hairline? where on the hairline? the first 1/2 inch? inch? basically, i just don't know what areas you had an HT performed or not. let me know if ya don't understand what i'm asking for. thanks

Hey, sorry guys. I forgot I posted on this subjcet and had not checked for responses. So, I'll try to clarify a few things.

First, Arfy is correct, Spiro is Spironolactrone. It is a medication that can't be taken orally by men without unpleasant (to say the least) feminizing effects. So, when it is used by men to treat hair loss, it should only be in the form of a topical preparation. I use Spiro-lotion sold by Lipoxidil.com

This is not simply a Spironolacton lotion, but a liposome based product. The company's claim is that the liposome base acts as a transdermal transporter of the Sprironlacton so the more of the medication reaches the subcutaneious level where it's action is most effective. They claim it's proven, I don't know if that's so. The claims could make theoretical sense, but there is not sufficient research on this method or this particular product in this liposomal base to say that it works. Spiro-lotion also contains Zinc Oxide, apparently another helful product, according to the manufacturer.

I chose this product because the claim is that is is more effective in the frontal area than any other product available. I use Lipoxidil (minoxidil in a liposomal base on the crown area of my scalp.

After my first lame hair transplant (900 grafts frontal 1/2 to 1/2, I still looked quite bald. If you look at the first picture posted here, you can see a 1 or 2 cm perimeter of very sparse hair with much thicker hair behind that thin perimeter. Prior to using the Spiro-lotion, the entire frontal area of my scalp was as thin as that 1 - 2 cm permimeter. Basically, what you see in that area is the tranplanted hair )about 10 grafts per cm2.

The more dense growth behind the perimeter developed about 4 or 5 months after I started using the Spiro. The interesting thing about the thin perimeter girding the thicker "spiro" hair is that the "spiro" hair only grew in significant amounts behind the "line" of my preop hairline. That is to say, in areas where I still had some sparse natural frontal hair, the spiro seemed to work miracles. In the area where I had not seen hair for years (the 1-2 cm perimeter, a little hair seemed to grow, but not much. It was certainly not a cosmetically signficant result. The photo I posted shows how just how unnatural the outcome looked. I don't blame the spiro. It grew much thicker hair, where I still had some of my own natural hair, but did nothing where I had been completely bald for many years.

The first transplant I referred to was by a surgeon in Chicago. He didn't damage me, but he was pricey and I would never recommend him because of numerous technical anachronisms that are a part of his surgical approach.

I went to Dr. Keene to fill in the perimeter and give it a more natural look. The first surgeon had lined up the few hairs he tranplanted in a rather orderly, unnatural fashion. Dr. Keene suggested 700 grafts to improve the hairline and recommended and additonal 500 or 600 behind the perimeter hairline to achieve a better look. I agreed and went with 1300 grafts.

I suffered an enormous amount of shock fallout. It was really disheartening to see all that spiro hair fall out. I also lost a great deal of hair in the crown where I had been using Lipoxidil. The Lipoxidil had been as effective, if not more effective than the Spiro. The hair on the top and crown increased in number, shaft diameter, and texture. It became curlier and wavier like my more youthful hair.

Four months after the transplants with Dr. Keene, things started to look very good again. However, it seemed that the spiro and lipoxidl hair regrowth had not gotten back to where they had been before the surgery. In the last month, though, I've noticed a big change occuring. Things are getting thick fast and much of it looks like the Spiro hair mixed in with the transplanted hair. You could say, "well. it's the fifth month and your grafts are growing in. I'm sure that's the case. However, no work was done on the crown. In the past month, the crown hair is thickening again, the texture is changing again and the wave/curl is returning. I can only explain this as divine intervention or Lipoxidil.

Arfy is right, in my opinion, with regard to propecia. I've been on it four 3 1/2 years. It substantially slowed the hair fallout. I will remain on it unless and until something proven better comes along. But, I will also continue the Spiro-lotion and the Lipoxidil. I've used every form and strength of minoxidil, copper peptides, azaleic acid, prescription strength Nizoral and Retin-A. I've tried different combinations, schedules, mixtures and "stand-alones."

Only four things have convincingly given me results that I regard as cosmetically significant:

1: Proscar/propecia

2: Hair transplants

3: Spiro-lotion

4: Lipoxidil (I've varied between with and w/o Retin-a mixtures of the Lipoxidil

I tried Lipoxidil's Fina lotion (essentially a topical propecia in a liposome base. After several months, I saw no results whatsoever. As I think about it now, since the systemic introduction of finasteride doesn't seem to be a big problem for most men, why bother with a topical version that might only hypothetically work block DHT. The pills work, there is no question about it.

Hope I've answered everyone's questions. As I said before, I'll photo update at six months. Here is the link I posted at four months for those who are interested in looking back.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/paul148148/lst?.dir=/Transplant+Photos&.src=ph&.view=

Thanks for the well-documented experience and suggestions, Paul. Where is te best place to buy spiro cream? Lipoxidil.com? Is there any place in the US that sells it.

Thanks.

HG?®

Lipoxidil.com is the only source I know of for these products. Other topicla spiro compounds are not sold in the liposome base - this matters greatly, because if indeed the liposomes have been customed desigend in a way to tranpsort the medications to subcutaneious levels, the theoretial potential for effectiveness is greatly enhanced. So, I only order the Lipoxidil version because it is the only product claiming a liposome transporter base. I would emphasize that the liposmal based minioxidil products also produced far better resuls for me than ordinary topical minoxidil products. After jacking around with so many productsk, for so many years, I am certain that these products produced excellent results for me after 5- 6 months use. So, I won't order elswhere until and unless someone even claims to make comparabel products in liposome bases. I don't like spending money on hair products. Most are very costly. But, I have no hesittion in purchasing proscar, spriro cream (from lipoxidil) and lipoxidil plus or lipoxidl 4.5%. You can read up on the supposed differences between the latter products on the lipoxidil.com website. The products are pricey, but worth the cost in my opinoin.