Im only 17...

I'm 17, turning 18 in September and I'm already experiencing hair loss. My hairline has receited kind of a lot and I have some thinning on the top.

It really sucks going bald this young and it has basically taken over my life so as soon as I turn 18 I want to get a hair transplant.

I had some questions I wanted to ask but I didn't know where to go until I found this site today.

How much money would this cost?

I live in MA. would anyone recommend a certain place?

How effective is the procedure?

Well thank you for reading this, I'll check back soon.

I'm 17, turning 18 in September and I'm already experiencing hair loss. My hairline has receited kind of a lot and I have some thinning on the top.

It really sucks going bald this young and it has basically taken over my life so as soon as I turn 18 I want to get a hair transplant.

I had some questions I wanted to ask but I didn't know where to go until I found this site today.

How much money would this cost?

I live in MA. would anyone recommend a certain place?

How effective is the procedure?

Well thank you for reading this, I'll check back soon.

Consult with any of the surgeons recommended on this site. At your age, I would highly recommend against considering a Hair Transplant which is what I think a surgeon will tell you. You may talk with a surgeon about Propecia (finasteride). This may slow or stop your hairloss and is proven to regrow hair in the crown on many individuals.

Search threads on this site regarding Propecia (finasteride) information.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

DickJones,

At your age I don't think any reputable surgeons would even think of doing a hair transplant on you. I emphasize the word "reputable" as I'm sure there are plenty of hacks out there who would love to take your money and disfigure you. My advice would be to get on Propecia as soon as you turn 18. Merck recommends against anyone under the age of 18 using Propecia. Propecia should slow down or even halt your hair loss. Who knows, you may even get some regrowth. Something you could probably use now is Nizoral shampoo. This will reduce inflammation and possibly reduce some of your scalp DHT.

GuitarPlayer

Propecia regrows hair in 40% of its users, and holds onto the hair of 80%, while only 1.5% experience side effects.

I've been on it for 3 days now, hoping that I will at least fall in the 80% category...

I'm only 20 and have had a hair transplant, but 3 years is a lot of difference, especially when we're talking teens vs 20s and testosterone levels are quite different...our patterns sound different as well.

At 17, I had a pretty full head of hair, but I did begin to use Rogaine then because I was concerned with my temporal thinning (which began about at that age or slightly before). My hair loss became noticeably "bad" just 6 months ago, and I feared that it was only going downhill...so I got on Procerin and Fight Back (dht blocker) and my loss seemed to halt.

I found this place after I had scheduled an HT, asked some questions, and decided to go forward with my HT; which I did get on Feb 3rd. It's been about 10 days since the transplant and I feel it was a great decision as I've healed well already, and am now on Propecia.

Hopefully Propecia can slow or cancel the need for me to have further transplant procedures; as pill-popping is much easier to face than is the task of saving money for and recovering from hair transplants.

Remember, it costs a lot of money and it's something to be carefully considered.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

I'd like to thank everyone with their advice. I never knew how serious hair transplants were, I thought they just transplanted the hair and that was the end of it. I'm definitely going to go on the Propecia when I turn 18.

I've added a picture if anyone has anymore advice.

Thanks for the support

55555.JPG.093c3765885b2e7c7a6cadf51bd8cac0.JPG

Originally posted by DickJones:

I'd like to thank everyone with their advice. I never knew how serious hair transplants were, I thought they just transplanted the hair and that was the end of it. I'm definitely going to go on the Propecia when I turn 18.

Thanks for the support

You could talk to your doctor to see if going on Propecia right now, would be ok.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by DickJones:

Thanks for the support

Dick Jones,

You still have plenty of hair! Most guys on here in the higher Norwood Levels would kill to have the amount of hair you have. My advice would be to start using Nizoral shampoo twice per week and then to start Propecia once you turn 18. You could also add in minoxidil once you turn 18 if you want an extra "boost." I would alternate a good thickening shampoo with the Nizoral shampoo. So.. thickening shampoo for two days and then Nizoral on the third day and then repeat the cycle. Loreal Vive for Men works excellent for me and it's pretty cheap. Good luck with your progress.

GuitarPlayer

Hello DJ,

When you said that your hairloss at such a young age "sucks" and has "basically taken over your life" that is exactly how I felt when I was in your shoes way back in the early 80's. I would add a stronger verb though in that it ruined what should have been some of my best years. Your pattern from your photo is similiar to what I first experienced so I can relate and empathize with you.

I too could not wait until I could get my first HT proceedure, something I have mixed feelings about all these years later. Thus, I endorse the advise of the others here regarding medications, special shampoos, etc. That is the best possible course of action you could take at this point. The surgical hair restoration industry will be still here if and when you are ready later on.

Phil

DickJones

How long have you been losing your hair for? If it's very recent then you should wait a while longer before getting a HT (ie - your hairloss needs to be relatively slow and stable or you'll be fighting a losing battle).

I concur with the finasteride and maybe the minoxidil. I've been using minoxidil for over 5 years myself and it's a major pain in the ass but at this point, given your age (I'm 19 myself), I think you'd appreciate the hair over any inconveniences you may have.

Originally posted by Mahair:

In my experience a hair transplant accelerates your hairloss.Not including shockloss.

??? How old were you when you had your first one? Were you in good physical condition and eating a proper diet? Those things matter greatly.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog