Glossary of HT Meds/Shampoos etc terms

If there is one area where i get completely confused, it is in this part of the forum. Mostly due to the difficulty of figuring out what's what, brand vs generic name, the amount 5% or 1%, what one does, what one doesn't, how this works with that, etc etc etc..

Based on the above, i still can't tell which products might be right for me: What is MSM? What is Fin? Dermmatch? Toppick? Revita, Proscar? Nizerol? Propecia? Emu oil?

My suggestion then, with this buildup I've typed, is if someone, or someones, could greate an HT Glossary of meds/products that us HT folks need to know about and/or use. If i had the knowledge, i would do it myself, but I'm a relative newbie- so best if something like this is done by someone more experienced.

An example I'm thinking of could look something like this:

GraftCyte Concentrated Spray- Containing Copper peptide Micronutrient. Used to stimulate growth immediately after HT surgery. optimizes Healing Envioronment, Effectively Manages Crusting & Improves Patient Comfort. Part of HT doctors post-op package. Discontinue when bottle is finished.

This example I'm familiar with becuase it's what I'm using right now- hence why i was able to write about it like i did. I'm STILL trying to decide what to use next after the spray is finished.

What do my fellow follicle friends think of a glossary of terms idea?

Hmmm. I agree there is some minutae, but it might not be quite as vast a land to cover as you may think.

Here is a personal breakdown that I think covers virtually all of what one may usefuly want to encounter:

**Concealers** (often using a combo of the two different types of concealers produces optimal results)

--dermmatch (scalp paint to reduce contrast and hair thickener)

--toppik/nanogen (hair fibers that cling to existing hair and make it more dense; more difficult to use in thinner, balder areas)

**Shampoos and "adjunct" treatments** (primary hairloss ingredient being ketoconazole in the shampoos)

--Nizoral (1% or 2%, 2% stronger, though often too harsh for some scalps, which leads us to...)

--Revita (throws everything and the kitchen sink in to help your hair; much less harsh than nizoral, though more expensive)

--MSM (accelerates the growth cycle of hair)

--Vitamin E (e.g. "toco-8", stimulates hair re-growth)

**Heavy Artillery DHT Fighters(e.g. drugs, that which gives you the best chance for regrowth and revitalization of minaturizing hairs)**

--Propecia/Finasteride/Finpecia/Proscar/"Fin"

--Avodart/Dutasteride (perhaps more potent at fighting DHT than Fin, but is not yet actually FDA approved for hair loss and carries some baggage; best to try Propecia for an extended period of time beforehand)

--Rogaine/Minodoxil (Rogaine Foam 5% is the gold standard for delivering maximum potency with least complications/irritations to scalp)

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Damn Than!

Thats a great post icon_smile.gif It can be so confusing for newbies and selecting the products to use in their fight against hairloss.

All in all the BIG is the way to go in my opinion ( of course concealers if needed)

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Thx, and I agree, especially when first starting out, just concern yourself w/ the most proven and effective treatments (minodoxil and fin), and throw in a revita/nizoral shampoo as it's pretty convenient. And for a concealer to see if dermmatch can be a one-stop solution in that department.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Thana,

Thanks for the reply! Though I'm still in a vaccum about the post HT stuff, this was a great start!

Where/what does emu oil i hear so much about play in?

And is there a particluar Vitamin E your referring to?

Look forward to hearing how your HT went! and what YOUR post-HT regimen will be! icon_smile.gif

Toco-8 is the vitamin E supp I am going to be using.

As for other stuff that I am going to be possibly using as a post-HT regime:

Generous portions of Aloe Vera (to donor and recipient 5days after, 2-3x a day)

MSM (to try to speed growth)

Distilled witch hazel (help with redness; use 8 days post op)

As for emu oil, to be honest I am not that familiar with it; I know many people say it accelerates the healing process of your scalp...I beleive post-staple/suture removal people start using it on their donor.

I will be calling Dr. Feller's office soon to inquire about both emu oil, aloe vera, and the distilled witch hazel to get their "official" opnion on all three.

-----------