Does this advice make sense?

Hello,

I've just spent several months researching HT and have consulted with a number of doctors recommended on this board.

The one I decided on seems very compassionate and has answered all of my questions.

He recommended, in what he says is a small procedure, to get 800-1000 FU to fill in the front hairline between other transplants, to use Trichophytic closure so that hair between two old long Bosley scars can be harvested (the scars are from top to bottom 15 mm apart), and to put in perhaps 100-125 FUEs to fill in some smaller donor scars.

I was particularly concerned about shock loss, but he has resassured me that, no he hasn't had any patients losing their crown hair and if I take Propecia this should help to strengthen my middle scalp (just above the hairline in the middle) to resist shockloss.

In the final communication, I had assumed that he meant one HT procedure, but I asked him how far apart should procedures be. He said one year and he added, in worst case scenario as to the number of grafts, which is unlikely, expect to put in the same number of grafts as in the first!

He had just spent several months reassuring me that he would take care and that shockloss at the crown wasn't common (in my case I'm worried about the 15 mm area of scalp that's going to be trichoclosured causing a tight scalp), but at one point he did say that with FUs in the corner of the front hairline there is no guarantee about shockloss.

Anyway, why would he have to put the same number of grafts in as the first procedure if this supposed to be a small procedure of 800-1000 grafts?

In reality is there more of a chance of shockloss due to that 15 mm width of scalp (that seems a lot to me) that is going to be removed and harvested? He said that seemed longer in distance that what appeared in the pictures I sent, but still it should work.

Or, does it mean that in reality shockloss is common, and can be significant ... and that after reassuring me often about shockloss and that this is a small procedure ...lets me in on the truth just as I've e-mailed that I'm ready to book a procedure so that he's covered his bases. Lured in, caught ...and then the truth can be told.

My first HT had the effect of knocking out a lot of my hair, thus requiring that I go back in a neverending story cycle.

I thought that with all the new technology that things had changed from 10 years ago.

In reality, is shockloss still requiring that patients go back again and again? Why if my procedure is small, would I have to go back for nearly the same number again, unless that means shockloss? What's the point of the Propecia then?

Thanks Eagle10

Hello,

I've just spent several months researching HT and have consulted with a number of doctors recommended on this board.

The one I decided on seems very compassionate and has answered all of my questions.

He recommended, in what he says is a small procedure, to get 800-1000 FU to fill in the front hairline between other transplants, to use Trichophytic closure so that hair between two old long Bosley scars can be harvested (the scars are from top to bottom 15 mm apart), and to put in perhaps 100-125 FUEs to fill in some smaller donor scars.

I was particularly concerned about shock loss, but he has resassured me that, no he hasn't had any patients losing their crown hair and if I take Propecia this should help to strengthen my middle scalp (just above the hairline in the middle) to resist shockloss.

In the final communication, I had assumed that he meant one HT procedure, but I asked him how far apart should procedures be. He said one year and he added, in worst case scenario as to the number of grafts, which is unlikely, expect to put in the same number of grafts as in the first!

He had just spent several months reassuring me that he would take care and that shockloss at the crown wasn't common (in my case I'm worried about the 15 mm area of scalp that's going to be trichoclosured causing a tight scalp), but at one point he did say that with FUs in the corner of the front hairline there is no guarantee about shockloss.

Anyway, why would he have to put the same number of grafts in as the first procedure if this supposed to be a small procedure of 800-1000 grafts?

In reality is there more of a chance of shockloss due to that 15 mm width of scalp (that seems a lot to me) that is going to be removed and harvested? He said that seemed longer in distance that what appeared in the pictures I sent, but still it should work.

Or, does it mean that in reality shockloss is common, and can be significant ... and that after reassuring me often about shockloss and that this is a small procedure ...lets me in on the truth just as I've e-mailed that I'm ready to book a procedure so that he's covered his bases. Lured in, caught ...and then the truth can be told.

My first HT had the effect of knocking out a lot of my hair, thus requiring that I go back in a neverending story cycle.

I thought that with all the new technology that things had changed from 10 years ago.

In reality, is shockloss still requiring that patients go back again and again? Why if my procedure is small, would I have to go back for nearly the same number again, unless that means shockloss? What's the point of the Propecia then?

Thanks Eagle10

It sounds like you are particularly vulnerable to shock-loss...?

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Eagle10,

Hi and welcome to the boards. Your situation sounds very similar to mine in that I went to Bosley in the past and was left with some nice long scars in the back of my head and quite noticeable mini & micro grafts in the front.

Just recently (last week), I had 1662 FU's put into my frontal hairline to restore the thickness and naturalness of it with Dr. Ron Shapiro of the Shapiro Medical Group. I was very pleased with my procedure and you can see more if it here:

M&M Photo Album

I too am concerned about shock loss, but with such a small procedure (graft count) and with the miniature size of the recipient sites, I would think shock loss in the recipient area would be quite minimal. As for shock loss in the donor area, I've seen some photos where it appears around 3-months after the HT (varies greatly), but the hair quickly grows back and with somewhat longer hair in back to begin with, you should be fine.

What did your other consultations recommend? If you are requiring only 1000, then you can easily get that in one sitting. If you need 2000, then you should also get that in one sitting vs. dividing it into two. (Just my opinion).

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Thanks for your responses. I looked back at previous communication, and found that the doc did say earlier that to get best results it may take two procedures.

He's unsure as to how large it will be, but only in the worst case should it be as large as the first.

Maybe, I'm lucky. I don't know. My big concern is the trichophytic closure (Harvesting hair and closing two long scars that are 15 mm top to bottom.) That seems like a lot of scalp to cut out and I'm afraid that, if it makes my scalp tight, it can knock out a lot of hair. I've been assured that that shouldn't happen. I hope that's the case. What do you think?