Need your expert advice Falceros

Jinny

Hi Bill, hope your well, I'm at day 15 now, and having read all your info on scabs etc., have been shampooing like there's no tomorrow -

however, now I'm scared, coz in the bath are what looks like grains of rice with a hair going through it and popping out at both ends ! have I been too rough??

I was concerned that I still had a scabby head after 14 days (not pretty) so read and read and realised I was probably one of those who were too scared to shampoo early so left it quite late and just poured water over my head, now I think the crusts are taking away the grafts -

have I been too cautious and now I'm paying the price??

please help, the comments and experience from all you HT experts are worth more to me than any doctors opinion once HT has been performed

I await your expert advice (nervousely)xx

Brummy girl icon_confused.gif

Hi Bill, hope your well, I'm at day 15 now, and having read all your info on scabs etc., have been shampooing like there's no tomorrow -

however, now I'm scared, coz in the bath are what looks like grains of rice with a hair going through it and popping out at both ends ! have I been too rough??

I was concerned that I still had a scabby head after 14 days (not pretty) so read and read and realised I was probably one of those who were too scared to shampoo early so left it quite late and just poured water over my head, now I think the crusts are taking away the grafts -

have I been too cautious and now I'm paying the price??

please help, the comments and experience from all you HT experts are worth more to me than any doctors opinion once HT has been performed

I await your expert advice (nervousely)xx

Brummy girl icon_confused.gif

Jinny,

I think you are in good shape.

All of the transplanted hair is securely embedded in your scalp after about 10 days. Starting around week 2, it is also quite common to start losing the transplanted hair. The "grains of rice" you are seeing is most likely the hair in the scab and/or dead skin. This is normal, especially at this time. If you are not seeing any blood, you should be ok.

Though I think patients are sometimes too cautious (I was one of them after my first surgery), there shouldn't be any overall harm in it.

It is advisable however, as you are shampooing not to pick at the scabs with your nails. Using circular motions with your finger tips over the scabs and transplanted hair will help remove the scabs (and probably some hairs now). Rest assured, the hair follicle is firmly in place underneath the skin and the hair will start to regrow between 3 and 5 months.

So take a deep breath and relax. You will be fine icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

Bill, how can I thank you - I was getting scared to shampoo any more thinking that by being too cautious, I was now being too rough -

I really appreciate the time you take to reply to not only me, but everyone on this forum who comes across a dilema !!

I still have quite a few tiny hairs (from the graphs) I'm assuming these will fall out over the next few weeks - mind you, I swear I've less hair at the front now than I had before, very difficult to cover up !

Your advice as always, much appreciated, I'll sit back and wait then now, soon to look like a hairy monster (bring it on !!).... well a thinner version icon_biggrin.gif

You take care, and keep up the good work, I'm sure everyone appreciates your experiences

lol Brummie Girl xx

Jinny (Brummie Girl),

You are certainly welcome and I'm glad I can help.

Expect to go through a number of emotions the next several months as your hair goes through phases. You're in good shape, but remember, you may look worse before you look better! But indeed in time, you will be a "hairy monster"! I know I feel so much better about myself now looking in the mirror than when I did before any surgery. In fact, I just got a hair cut and I'm quite styling! I used to wear a hat (for many years) out everywhere I went. I haven't worn a hat for over 8 months! Feels freeing! And you are on your way!

And spex is right on about patience. And be careful...he has a side business peddling aloe vera which is why he often posts about it. Just kidding spex :P

If there is anything else I can do for you, feel free to let me know.

Bill

Thank you all for your kind advice, does feel awful at the mo, specially being back at work and feeling like everyone is lookin at my head & thinkin blimey she's losing her hair - shame !! (no-one know's thank god)so hopefully soon these will be feelings of the past.

Spex, I tried Aloe Vera, but it set like concrete on my head and as I have some fair length hairs of my own,(not many now)

I frightened the kidz ! they said I looked like him off the telly with the 3 strands covering the whole head (ha) so I'm now trying Emu Oil (which I read about on the forum) its very greasy but doesn't set ! so I'll let you all know how I get on with it.

Can't wait to get MY first hair cut Bill, bet its a pleasure now to go to the hairdressers, its been a nightmare for me for years, especially being a woman, there's always a young professional with full head of hair asking how I'd like the front backcombed to cover the baldness!!, and giving you that 'oh my god what am I going to do with this' look - thanks but just cut my bloody hair please!! (only think this by the way, I'm not usually rude) icon_wink.gif

and thanks Chucky, (might have guessed you'd use the old northern twang)p.s. son in law not too keen on becoming a West Brom Fan (ha) icon_razz.gif

Thanks to you too PGP - I will be patient, but its very hard - had to grab for the mouse and the hair dryer today in an effort to look human, first day back at work !! icon_frown.gif

You all take care, love talking to you, feels like a little family all of my own, even if one of them is a Sunderland fan !!