Any Doctors opinions about "Flap Procedure?" I'm considering HT

wyzking

I am shopping around and researching for a good hair transplant professional, and found "Beverly Hills Institute of Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery." (CA) Their doctors- "Toby and Mayer," claim that their "FLAP" technique is state of the art- offering a more natural appearance than other techniques, and that it offers an equivolence of about "10,0000 mini/micro graphs," in a single procedure, with immediate results. The only thing is that it is supposed to initially cost more, but will ultimately be less expensive in the big picture- in light of necessary follow-up procedures with FUT procedures.

Does anyone know anything about this particular procedure? Or whether their claims are credible? Are there other doctors that support such a technique? Why is there so little discussion about, or information on this procedure?

Any information you may have to offer will be most appreciated...I am somewhat confused about what procedure is best concerning latest innovation.

Thanks in advance.

-wyzking-

I am shopping around and researching for a good hair transplant professional, and found "Beverly Hills Institute of Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery." (CA) Their doctors- "Toby and Mayer," claim that their "FLAP" technique is state of the art- offering a more natural appearance than other techniques, and that it offers an equivolence of about "10,0000 mini/micro graphs," in a single procedure, with immediate results. The only thing is that it is supposed to initially cost more, but will ultimately be less expensive in the big picture- in light of necessary follow-up procedures with FUT procedures.

Does anyone know anything about this particular procedure? Or whether their claims are credible? Are there other doctors that support such a technique? Why is there so little discussion about, or information on this procedure?

Any information you may have to offer will be most appreciated...I am somewhat confused about what procedure is best concerning latest innovation.

Thanks in advance.

-wyzking-

wyzking,

I saw the flap procedure on a T.V. special, the guy was upset because of loose forehead skin, it made his forehead look very square. You are looking at a very risky and ill-advised procedure.

Dont Do it...

Good Luck

NW

I agree with the others -STAY AWAY FROM THE FLAP!!!I remember seeing a post on one the forums (I don't remember which one) about a guy who had the surgery done and it has left him with a completley unnatural look at best. It really messed him up. If you don't believe us here on this forum, ask the doctor to see one of his patients IN PERSON. You'll see. AGAIN -DON'T DO IT! I'll see if I can find a link to that post.

Flap procedures for hair restoration are an old and highly risky technique. For starters, because the "flaps" are rotated from the sides of your head, the direction of the hair is always wrong. Flaps cause the hair to grow straight back on the top of your head. The natural angle is down and forward and produces the best cosmetic appearance even for guys who like to comb their hair straight back.

Flaps also cause "buckling" of skin as the flaps are rotated. They also make it very, very difficult to create a natural hairline shape, as the rotation (and again that severe buckling as the skin is twisted) almost always make the hairline too low at the upper sides.

I've been researching hair transplants for 15 to 20 years. I would NEVER consider allowing anyone to perform "flaps." They don't look good and frequently require lots of "followup" procedures (lots more $$$) to fix skin buckling, loose skin, thick scars (especially right in front where it's most visible) and unnatural hair growth direction.

The all Follicular Unit (FU) transplants of today are far, far better with almost no risk for most patients.

Do yourself a BIG FAVOR and don't make any decisions until you thoroughly understand the differences in various HT procedures.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to you all, you may have spared me from getting myself into a very tragic dilema--going through with a "flap" procedure.

It seems only obvious that I must spend more time researching my options.

My only concern about FTUs is the issue of needing multiple procedures to acheive a satisfactorily dense appearance...But, like you all said, and as I have confirmed elsewhere, the "flap" proc. appears NOT to be the sensible alternative/option.

Thanks again for your most useful information!

Happy New Year!!!

-wyzking-