Situation BAD for HT???

KenEastCoast

Is is not a good idea to get an HT for a major fill-in? I am not bald but jsut majorly thinned. What is the standard outcome for people that get fill in work done-as opposed to a bald head getting a full HT. Can transplanted hair be well mixed into the natural heads hair in teh front-especially the hairline?

Is is not a good idea to get an HT for a major fill-in? I am not bald but jsut majorly thinned. What is the standard outcome for people that get fill in work done-as opposed to a bald head getting a full HT. Can transplanted hair be well mixed into the natural heads hair in teh front-especially the hairline?

Dr. Beehner offered a really good explanation in the "Ask a Physician" thread.

If you're already on Propecia the likelihood of your hair falling out (from shock) is less. That being said, your hair will fall out for the rest of your life, and although it may look good now, you may need to be updated in several years -- the transplanted hairs will persist while the native hair falls away; the transplanted hair will no longer be camouflaged by native hair. Depending on your hair color and quality this may not be an issue. icon_cool.gif

I have more or less the same problem: bald areas, but thinning areas as well.

Dr. Beehner is providing very useful info about the risk for existing hair.

I'm ready to say goodbye to my existing nearly-vellus hair, but not to my forelock terminal ones...

I'd like to assess the risk for them, as well.

Big1, I'm on Minox + Progesterone, etc. for the frontal part. No propecia, since my dermatologist say that it's more appropriate for the vertex.

Is minox good as well to prevent any damange to existing hair?

I'm on Minox + Progesterone, etc. for the frontal part. No propecia, since my dermatologist say that it's more appropriate for the vertex. Is minox good as well to prevent any damange to existing hair?

I can't believe your dermatologist hasn't encouraged you to introduce Finasteride (Propecia or Proscar) into your regimen. This medicine has been used for nearly 50 years to treat men suffering from "PRO"state cancer. The side effect was hair growth. I don't have any hairloss in the vertex but have been on Propecia for 3 years and it has either DRASTICALLY thwarted my hairloss or my hairloss conveniently ended when I began taking it (which is very unlikely).

The research and development was funded based on the hypothesis at the time -- that it promoted hair growth in the vertex. It was found that hair growth was observed over the entire head. Minoxidil won't give you shit in the way of hairline and I would encourage you to save the money, time, energy and aggravation by doing what works for me, which is to get off of it at once.

The rumor is that Minoxidil (Rogaine) will mitigate shock loss but to a much lesser extent than Finasteride. As you already know, some patients believe that it not only protects the vellus hair but it also promotes their growth. I am not of that opinion.

I have never tried Minoxidil for a significant period of time because hair never seemed like it was worth that kind of trouble (and I won't even if in fact, it is worth the trouble); moreover, the payoff with Minoxidil is so incredibly minute, and as soon as Rogaine is interrupted all payoff subsides and "newly grown" hair falls away.

I don't think your dermatologist is terribly concerned with hairloss in general (and your hairloss specifically) because he isn't giving you sound advice. Ask another doctor...its your head. icon_cool.gif

East Coast,

YOu need to at the very least be on Propecia and xtra strenth Rogain as well as Nioxin shampoo.-- at the very least w/or without a HT.

Now as far as HT in existing hairlines and hair, that is exactly what I did with my HT's. I was thinning with receeding hairline, I had HT for hairline as well as HT for the thinning areas because I never wanted to be completely bald and didnt want people to notice my thinning areas. That is the positive is that nobody will know that you had HT or thinning hair was your orginal hair falls out the HT are already growing. The down side, is it usually takes several HT surgeries instead of one mega session with a bald head.

From what I am aware of the active ingredients minoxidil and finasteride do not claim any efficiency in the front forelock areas including the hairline. In fact both products Rogaine and Propecia make this distinction in their labeling as well as their respective clinical studies. Both products have demonstrated some aide in reducing potential shock loss but nothing that I have heard or seen to be monumentous. In fact the results vary patient-to-patient. Some folks respond extremely favorable to minoxidil, some nothing. I have heard and seen excellent results with finasteride which is why I am a proponent of the medication. Still there is a small percent of men who do not respond to finasteride. My point, use what works best for Keneastcoast! We are only buying ourselves time anyways. People respond to medications differently and not just hairloss meds. ALL medications bear some side effect(s) and that proves the varied responses patients distinguish from each other.

It sounds like you are experiencing diffused thinning and subsequent loss. There are usually one of two ways a diffused loss patient pursues. First choice is to approach their restoration in smaller procedures to minimize traumatic potential shock loss. The disseminating effect of DHT on one's hair follicules is not what causes shock loss, it is in fact the surrounding trauma caused by the recipient incisions. The more incisions that are made within a one squared centimeter surface area of thinning hair, the more shock loss that can occur to that thinning hair. That can be disaster to some. Any way you look at it, shock loss is unpredictable but you can take some measures to try and minimize it.

The other choice is to "get it over with". In other words some diffused thinning patients conclude that the diffused vellus hairs are going away eventually so I may as well get as much coverage as I safely can. And yes, I concur with the fact that you will most likely have to replace your natural hair with more surgery as time goes forward. Use prudent life-time planning with your HT surgeon so you have adequate future donor reserves. icon_smile.gif

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

KenEastCoast,

My advice is that you look into Minoxidil, Finasteride, and Nizoral shampoos. I would definitely consult a physician to get a prescription for the Finasteride and the Nizoral 2% (1% can be obtained over the counter) instead of getting generic brands from countries such as Mexico and/or India. These brands are called Fincar or Finpecia and there have been tests that conclude that they can have little or no active ingredient present and elevated levels of metals and other contaminants in them. It's worth the few extra pennies a month to go with Proscar and half the dosage and take it every other day than to risk your safety.

As far as a hair transplant procedure goes, the cold, hard fact that you have to face is the possibility of shockloss to your current hair and the very real possibility of subsequent procedures. The options that Gillenator pointed out are pretty much what you are looking at. My advise to you would be to consult with a reputable hair transplant physician to get an up-close, professional opinion. You could post photographs on the forums if you want, but nothing beats having a "hands on" evaluation. A reputable physician will not pressure you into getting a procedure that is not right for you so you won't have to worry about getting "sold to" (as a matter of fact, if you ever feel that you are being "sold" on an HT, RUN, dont walk). You could also get a physician's opinion on whether starting the regimen of Finasteride, Minoxidil, and Nizoral is right for you.

Information on Propecia and other hair loss medications can be found here.

Information on the hair transplant procedure can be found here.

Diffuse thinners can usually reap great benefit from concealers. You can find out about concealers here.

Best of luck to you.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog