Proscar and saw palmetto

I read somewhere that prolonged use of proscar can cause tumours ? Is saw palmetto effective for hair loss, if so what strength tablets/capsules are needed and can someone recommended a good shampoo for post hair transplant and long term use

I read somewhere that prolonged use of proscar can cause tumours ? Is saw palmetto effective for hair loss, if so what strength tablets/capsules are needed and can someone recommended a good shampoo for post hair transplant and long term use

Guest Cousin_It

Johnno...

I guess you are referring to the recently released 6 year study on the effects of finesteride on prostate cancer. Initially it was found that 25% less men in the drug group developed prostate cancer, but those that did had a higher incidence of high grade tumors over the control group. Lots of discussion has followed the release of this, some doctors point to the fact that a percentage of the high grade tumors were found early on in the studies and could not be attributed to the drug, also the higher rate did not increase throughout the study further proving their case. There are a number of other inconsistencies with leaves the issue of the higher grade tumors open for debate.

Saw palmetto is commonly used in BPH, and anecdotal evidence inplies it may help in MPB. There is no real proof that it does help hair loss. Personally I tried it a number of years ago and thought it did help me, my hair seemed to be thicker. The usual dose is 160mg twice a day using a 85-95% extract. One note, I have heard that for some reason it may interfere with the use of Propecia, not sure why, just a note.

On shampoo, use anything you like except a tar shampoo for the first few months. I like baby shampoo, its cheap and does not irritate.

• Administrators

Cousin,

Thanks for a particularly well researched response. Could I repost it with your permission on our Q and A Blog at www.regrowhair.com?

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Guest Cousin_It

HK...

In my searches I read one article which went a bit into detail on the conflict of using both concurrently, not sure offhand where it was but will check and try to find it.

There are numerous articles on the web that simply state that due to their similarites of action they should not be used together, but do not give much additional detail.

This is one attributed to the NIH

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-sawpalmetto.html

Cousin,

Thank you for your reply about the possible negative interaction between saw palmetto and Finasteride. I read the article from the link you posted and as you said it just mentioned it vaguely, if you can find the other article that would be great. I learned something new though from this article and because I have my next HT coming in a few weeks I will discontinue the use of saw palmetto, gingko and also garlic just in case since they might promote more bleeding.