New Guy HT Question!

Hi,

I just turned 24. I have an NW2 hair loss going with major thinning in the front and temples. I started losing my hair about a 1-2 years ago although now its become noticeable so I cant fool myself anymore.

I just started Propecia two weeks ago. I plan on getting an HT in a couple of years if things go south with my hair. Everyone on my moms side, except one male cousin has a full head of hair, even into their 80s. My father is a NW4-5 and he is in his early 50s. My dad didnt start balding until his mid to late 30s however. My grandfather on my dads side was an NW7 when he died in his 60s. Does this mean if I did get an HT I would have to plan ultra-conservatively, since there is a possibility I could go NW7. I really dont want to ever progress to an NW3 at least until I'm in my 40s. That is my goal.

My questions are, what are your opinions on my possible HT options and to those who have had an HT relatively young, how did you plan for future baldness??

Thanks

• Administrators

htownballa,

Welcome to our forum. You ask very good questions, which show that you are thinking far ahead and not just reacting to loosing what you had.

I think some younger men make the mistake of jumping into hair transplantation too early and with surgeons who are only to happy to take their money and pack grafts into receding temples and hairline. I expect that some of these patients will regret such surgeries twenty plus years down the road.

Planning for and anticipating future hair loss is critical. As you know, you have a limited amount of donor hair and a person does not want to end up with a dense packed teenage hairline and no donor hair left for the top and crown.

I suggest you see what Propecia can do for you over the next year and continue doing your research on this and other online forums and sites. Then if and when the time comes for a hair transplant you'll have your favorite top notch surgeons in your rolodex.

Best wishes for holding the line on your hair loss.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Hi Balla

Pat is right, the propecia is the right move for now.. It totally stopped my hairloss and regrew some too.. Wait and see what happens and how you progress..I got my first HT at 36 after Propeica stabilized my hairloss. do your research

Good luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I have to agree with the earlier posts. The meds and a good hair care and scalp regimen can aid you in keeping what you have and maybe regrowing some. You can always plan for a HT after a couple years after you've had time to reassess your progress.

Family history sometimes can give you an idea of what you'll face but it varies so much there's absolutely no guarantee. Start with a good regimen and see how it goes.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Since there is no guarantee in what NW level I will become how are you suppose to plan an HT? Does this mean I will have to wait until I'm pretty much bald or is it too risky to get a HT while I'm still young and my hairloss future is still up in the air