Which kind of finasteride dosage is better?

YoungAsian

Hi everyone,

Am 24 years old and have just started taking finasteride tablets 1mg for hairloss. Am also using minoxidil 5% for the last few months. The question I have is what should be the dosage of finasteride I should go for so that I may have maximum benefits and minimum side effects.

I did read many articles which say that 1mg per day is not required and we could get the same results with a lesser quantity. So which would be better for me?

1.) 0.5 mg everyday OR

2.) 1 mg every alternate day. icon_smile.gif

Dr. Rassman is one of the elite HT surgeons, he is a member of the Coalition I believe, he is probably the most expensive surgeon on our site with the strip excision method although he is now giving forum members a discount. I think his advice on Finasteride is as good as any screened an approved surgeon on this site. I do not have any negative side effects from 1/4 Proscar daily, neither did I have side effects from one Propecia daily when i was taking it prior to switching to Proscar.

Thank you HK500. icon_smile.gif

Good to know you never had any side effects from finasteride. I think I can do with 0.5 mg of finasteride daily for now. Dr. Rassman recommends taking finasteride daily because of it's short half life. So I may be better off with taking it daily than EOD

Ok, it has been exactly a week since I have started finasteride. For 3-4 days I experienced softer erections. Also the quantity of semen ejaculated was comparitively less than normal.

But from the fifth day onwards I started getting my normal hard erections back. Also the semen quantity seems normal now.

But looks like I am shedding more hair than normal. Does shedding starts this early?

Am on 0.5 mg per day.

The shedding is normal and is a good sign that the finasteride is working for you. When those hairs come back they will be strong. I have not experienced any real noticable side affects and I do not shed anymore than normal. It has stopped my loss and its too early to tell if any regrowth has started. Good to hear your sex life is OK. If too much sex caused more hairloss, there would be a world full of baldies!

NoBuzz

NoBuzz, thanks for reassuring me man. I just showered and my bath floor was full of hairs. But I was wondering it has been just one week and I have already started shedding. Does it always start so early??

Also, right now am taking 0.5 mg of fin per day. Would it be better if I take 0.5 mg in the morning and 0.5 mg in the evening? This way the dosage will be effective in the system for a longer time than a single 1mg dose in the morning. (considering the short half life of fin).

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...