Is pain in donor area 1 week post-op normal?

I'm 1 week post op today and have a hard time sleeping the past few nights. The staples are coming out on Monday, but it seems the tightness and slight pain is a little worse than the first few nights, even though I'm still taking my Vicodin before bed.

I'm still laying down with 2 pillows and a backrest when I sleep to ensure I don't mess up the grafts and to also help with swelling (which was bad a few days ago, but almost all gone now).

Is this normal?

Also, my recipient scalp area doesn't hurt, but is very dry. Most, if not all of my hairs are still intact, but I'm getting all that white, flaky, fuzzy look. I just started applied Aloe Vera a couple of times a day, but wanted to know is there anything else I should be doing?

I'm 1 week post op today and have a hard time sleeping the past few nights. The staples are coming out on Monday, but it seems the tightness and slight pain is a little worse than the first few nights, even though I'm still taking my Vicodin before bed.

I'm still laying down with 2 pillows and a backrest when I sleep to ensure I don't mess up the grafts and to also help with swelling (which was bad a few days ago, but almost all gone now).

Is this normal?

Also, my recipient scalp area doesn't hurt, but is very dry. Most, if not all of my hairs are still intact, but I'm getting all that white, flaky, fuzzy look. I just started applied Aloe Vera a couple of times a day, but wanted to know is there anything else I should be doing?

Jersey,

I think you should be asking your Dr. these types of questions. You might have already done so and are just using the forum as a sounding board to see if you are getting sage advice. If that is the case, then I think that is totally appropriate. But your doctor should totally be willing to discuss anything concerning pain anywhere associated with your surgery.

I personally had good days and bad days early on with my donor area. HT surgery has an interesting mix of post-op things happening. The nerves have been cut, you are on medications, you were giving numbing things during surgery, numbness is fading, feelings are coming back in the area, etc. My personal thoughts are that as the nerves regrew, numbness came and went, etc I would have pain (mild aches is more like it, pain is too strong a word) in the donor area, or my neck would get tired, etc.

A few weeks in I noticed that the numbness was less, so I would have "strange" feelings in my donor area, kind of a mix of aches and numbness. Even now, some 10+ weeks po, my neck gets tired, my scar itches, or even sometimes has aches, and has strange feelings, but all to a lesser degree than one week out.

In short, I think it can be normal, but you are better off talking with your Dr. about this.

Toad

Originally a Norwood 3 -- Now?

1/4 proscar daily started 9/01/2005

1791 FUs - Dr. Lehr - Dec. 2006.

1300 FUs - Dr. Brad Limmer - Jan. 2009.

Everyone's different but after 1 week I don't think you should be experiencing severe pain..........so much that you need pain killers. I think I took T3 for a couple of days but that's it. Did your Doc give you antibiotics to take to stave off infection? Do you have any areas in particular in the donor are that are giving you trouble? You may have developed an infection.

As Toad mentioned, you probably ought to give your Doc a call.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Toad hit it right on the money. I did call my Dr., but didn't speak to him. I let them know that I was having problems with the donor area and if it made sense to up my dosage.

They relayed that the Dr. said don't increase the dosage and some soreness is normal. I guessed that would be the case and since I'm now only 4 days from getting the staples removed, I figure I'll grin and bear it.

The soreness (rarely any true pain) only really happens when I lay back on it. Even when I push in along the staple line, there isn't any real pain, just soreness...but it's enough to cause problems when laying down on it.

Since I don't think it's infected, I guess it's part of the healing process. I'm really looking forward to Monday to get the hardware out!

At 7 days, it is normal to experience a little discomfort in the donar area. But, yes, it only is really noticable when you lay back on it. In fact, that was the main reason I took the pain pills - so I could sleep at night while laying on it. During waking hours there was no pain.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

• 3 years later...

This is an old thread, but I'm reactivating it because I'm getting a bit of soreness in the donor area, mainly in one area on the right side. I've contacted the clinic who have said not to worry, and to see what the doctor says when I see him to get the staples removed on Monday (day 11).

But I wondered if anyone else had this sort of soreness?

This is my latest blog update, not a lot has changed, still quite a few of scabs intact.

I can tell you that I had quite a bit of soreness in the donor area for several days following the surgery and like you, had an area that was significantly more sensitive and sore than the rest. I am at almost two months post-op and the discomfort is more like numbness now, not so much pain. This discomfort is not actually right on the donor area, but rather above it and almost to the top of my head. It is certainly manageable however.

From my own experience, getting the stitches (and in your case, staples) removed should help make the donor area much more comfortable. This was true of both of my surgeries.

I would say hang in there, try taking some Advil or other pain reliever and when you see the doctor again, mention your concerns.

Cheers for that.

Didn't really want to overdo the painkillers but think a couple of ibuprofen are worth it for a good night's sleep.

Hope you are progressing well.

Thanks for the well-wishes. So far so good although I have to admit I'm feeling like an ugly duckling. :P

Good luck with managing your donor area pain. Hopefully the ibuprofen will help.

• 4 months later...

Hello friends. I write from Italy. I had a FUT surgery on 9th of september.

Up to one month and a half everything went as expected in the standard. Pain in the first days post-surgery which then was softened. Two weeks ago, when the sensitivity was returning, I started to have a strong burning sensation and even pain in the area over the scar that still remain (9th of November - two months). The doctor told me that is not common but can happen during nerve regrowth.

I had a visit with a neurologist who confirmed that is a problem related to sensory nerve regeneration.

What about? Is there anyone of you has had many troubles until 2-3 months post-surgery?

Thanks

Edited by Gianluke