If you get your wife pregnant while on propecia...

NEMO

I am also interested in this question as I've heard wind of the topic before. Does any educated person on the subject have any hard, truthful answers?

danger

Maybe you can post this in the "Ask a Doctor" forum, it seems like a question for an MD.

My opinion is that it wouldn't matter, but if it was me, I would stop Propecia a few weeks before "trying", and then after conception, I might wear a condom after I went back on Propecia while my wife was carrying the baby. That might be superstitious of me, but the birth defects are nothing you should take any risks with.

Being off of Propecia for a few months should not ruin your hair, Propecia is a long-term treatment and a little break is just a bump in the road.

I would be curious to read a doctor's opinion.

By the way, you would want to keep the baby away from any DHT inhibitors. For example, some people use topical Spironolactone on their scalp. You would want to make sure the baby didn't ever touch that.

"No developmental abnormalities have been observed in first filial generation (F1) male or female offspring resulting from mating finasteride-treated male rats (80 mg/kg/day; 488 times the human exposure) with untreated females."

This was taken from the Merck site in the prescribing information. Pretty much it means that when male rats on ultra high doses of Propecia had babies, those rats had no adverse effects from the drug. Therefore, you really shouldn't worry about taking the pill yourself while attempting to have a baby.

The only thing I, as a pharmacist, would say is DON'T let your wife TOUCH, or, of course, take, the tablets. They will absorb through the skin readily. Other than that you should be fine.

I was not able to donate blood to redcross, because they said we cannot use your blood to a pregnant women.

if you cannot give blood, while are in propecia how is it ok to have a baby with your wife.

Dont you think the medicine will still be in your bloodstream.

This is where i am getting confused, Please explain.

thanks

webpro

"No developmental abnormalities have been observed in first filial generation (F1) male or female offspring resulting from mating finasteride-treated male rats (80 mg/kg/day; 488 times the human exposure) with untreated females."

This was taken from the Merck site in the prescribing information. Pretty much it means that when male rats on ultra high doses of Propecia had babies, those rats had no adverse effects from the drug. Therefore, you really shouldn't worry about taking the pill yourself while attempting to have a baby.

The only thing I, as a pharmacist, would say is DON'T let your wife TOUCH, or, of course, take, the tablets. They will absorb through the skin readily. Other than that you should be fine.