Help guys

paris_caine

hey there,

i have never used any hair loss drugs. would like some advice on proscar/propecia. should i get a prescription and get the real brand name propecia? or the generic versions are not that different in effectiveness? any places for cheaper propecia. where do most of you get your proscar/propecia?

thanks guys. just point me in the right direction.

Paris.

hey there,

i have never used any hair loss drugs. would like some advice on proscar/propecia. should i get a prescription and get the real brand name propecia? or the generic versions are not that different in effectiveness? any places for cheaper propecia. where do most of you get your proscar/propecia?

thanks guys. just point me in the right direction.

Paris.

Paris,

There has been a good bit of controversy over the generic hair loss medications that are available over the web. Many have taken this as an attack on anything not made in the U.S. or a direct attack on Cipla Pharmeceuticals, which is not true.

The worry isnt with the Cipla. They are a large company based in India and I, for one, believe that they distribute a good product. However, my concern is with the distributors of generic medications over the internet. There is just no way to know if a person is recieving "real" generics or high-quality fakes. These distributors are not fly-by-night operations. They are highly organized and professional and can easily replicate blister packs and authentic-looking packaging.

This is not to say that all or even most online distributors are fraudulent. However, there is just no way to tell. Even if you tested one batch that came one month how would you know that the next batch was legit...or the next?

By dividing Proscar bought from my local drugstore into 1/4ths, I pay right at $37 a month for Merck-brand Finasteride. Even if money is a severe consideration that is still a good price and I pay no shipping costs.

By all means, make your own decision, but for me, personally, the risk isn't worth the pennies a day that give me the piece of mind that I know I am taking legitimate medication.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 6 months later...

Robert,

You mention generics but what about online distributors based overseas that also sell merck proscar? Couldn't they fake that packaging as well? Even authentic merck stuff they say they get from Australia or the UK would look different than it's U.S. equivalent so I'd have nothing to compare it to anyway.

These places sell it fairly cheaply w/o a prescription so I wouldn't have to find(and pay)a doctor who will prescribe proscar instead of propecia. Not to mention paying the doctors who wouldn't.

Thanks for the great site!!

fillmore,

You are absolutely right. There are reputable sites out there. I'm certainly not saying that there aren't. What I am saying is that you should be very careful.

Sophisticated criminals can indeed replicate authentic Merck packaging. Online pharmeceuticals are a HUGE business and rogue distibutors are not all fly-by-night companies run out of someone's basement.

Unfortunately, I don't think that there is a real way of knowing what you are getting from an online distributor is real or not. If one did get samples analyzed, then who is to say that the next batch is good? Or the next?

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Robert,

Yeah,I know it's risky. I ordered some proscar anyway from United Pharmacies in New Zealand which was recommended by someone in a post here. Meanwhile, I got dermatch after seeing your pics and I'm amazed!! Thanks!

Fillmore

United Pharmacies seems to be pretty popular and not cost-prohibited. Best of luck to you and I'm glad to hear you're pleased with the Dermmatch. Remember, though: a little goes a long way!

-Robert