Women's hair loss--can anyone answer some qs on hair loss and HT?

Hi,

I've noticed most of the folks on here are guys, but I'm 42 and female, and have been having hair loss for the last 5 years. It's mostly diffuse, but now it's noticeable the front and center. I had thick hair, and now I'd say it's normal, except for the very thin patch in front. If it stopped now I'd be OK but it is showing no signs of stopping and I lose some 200 hairs a day. I've had all blood tests and there's nothing medically wrong with me, which seems weird because only my maternal grandfather was bald--literally everyone else had and has tons of hair into their 70s.

Questions:

1. Do I need to wait until the loss gets really bad before I do HT?

2. Do women use fin? I'm not having any more kids (so no issue of birth defects) and Rogaine doesn't work for me.

3. If I can still style it to hide it (which I can) should I wait?

I know you aren't a doctor but I am interested in your opinions.

Thanks, picassodove

P1000848.jpg.3a1e8a84c941b0c7350224a39381c82d.jpg

picassodove,

1. Welcome to this community! icon_smile.gif

2. Thank you for uploading a pic. Alot of people don't initially, when asking questions.

Do I need to wait until the loss gets really bad before I do HT?

Not necessarily. This is a personal choice; to wait. Hairloss is progressive and you won't get rid of it. My mother has been losing hair for 30 years.

Do women use fin? I'm not having any more kids (so no issue of birth defects) and Rogaine doesn't work for me.

The use of finasteride on female hairloss is generally not recommended and DEFINITELY not indicated for women with the possibility of conception. However some studies do indicate that finasteride may increase the density of hair growth in women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16549704

If I can still style it to hide it (which I can) should I wait?

This is a personal choice, i.e. to wait.

take care...