How successful is HT on top of head/vertex?

I am seriously considering HT but am concerned about the likely result on the top/back of my head (I believe this is called the "vertex"). From what I have read and seen I'm probably a Norwood 5 or 6 (I'm 38 years old).

I am also thinning in the front and based on photos here it looks like HT is very successful there. But I also have a large bald spot on top (like a "yarmulke"). I don't want to do a HT if it looks good in the front but I still have a bald spot on top. (A much smaller one I'd be OK with.) I've used Rogaine with poor results.

Any help is sincerely appreciated from all you wonderful posters.

Joey G

Connecticut

I am seriously considering HT but am concerned about the likely result on the top/back of my head (I believe this is called the "vertex"). From what I have read and seen I'm probably a Norwood 5 or 6 (I'm 38 years old).

I am also thinning in the front and based on photos here it looks like HT is very successful there. But I also have a large bald spot on top (like a "yarmulke"). I don't want to do a HT if it looks good in the front but I still have a bald spot on top. (A much smaller one I'd be OK with.) I've used Rogaine with poor results.

Any help is sincerely appreciated from all you wonderful posters.

Joey G

Connecticut

What you are calling the vertex, commonly referred to as the crown, can be a black hole for follicles. By that, I mean that it can take very many follicles to fill it in completely. So, it all depends on your available donar hair, the area you want covered and the desired density. If you are comfortable with some thickening of your hairline and front, along with some thin filling in of your crown, then you might be ok. But for a Norwood 6, it becomes increasingly difficult to give good density to all of it. I don't mean to discourage you, but that is the reality. Having said that, the top doctors can really make a cosmetic difference in your hair with a quality transplant and aesthetic talent.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Gorpy,

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to be realistic. I would be happy with good frontal coverage and a "gently thinning" look on top vs. the void I'm quickly developing.

I just had a consultation with Dr. Robert Bernstein in NY and he recommended 2800 grafts in my case (he said I was a Norwood 6). Unfortunately I didn't think to ask the specific question about the crown until after I left his office (too many questions!). Hence my post...

I'm looking at attending an open house at Dr. Bernstein's office where I'll be sure to ask this question.

I went to see Dr. Bernstein based on this forum. His practice is expensive and if I decide to proceed, it will be a real strech financially but I'm not taking a chance. I may still see one more Dr. just for comparison (perhaps Dr. True) but I was very impressed with Dr. Bernstein. Thanks to the many posters who provided invaluable information (and thanks Pat for creating this resource).

Joey G

2800 for the first one? What about number 2? How much donor hair do you have available? Did the doc draw a diagram of possible coverage? How wide/long a strip to get that much hair? From your information I am sure that you might want to consult with a couple of Doc's, and monitor this site in depth before you decide what is right for YOU. As a 6 myself, I decided my 1st HT would be from the middle out, with a concentration on the hairline. I will try for density on #2 and hope for 500 to 1000 for the crown on #2. I think during a consult the crown possibilities concerning surgery should be brought up by the doctor, without you asking. Just my opnion though. Good luck on your journey and keep us posted. icon_smile.gif

3100 w/Shapiro

10/7/05

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Joey G, I understand what you are saying. Sometimes consultations go by quickly and all questions are not brought up. Before you know it, it's time to go. I received 2700 recently in just the front half of my head (see my photos in the photo album section). So if 2800 includes the crown, you are not going to get much density. Of course, it also depends on how far back you put your hairline. Obviously the farther back, the less hair you need. Did you discuss this with the Dr?

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery