Question about number of Grafts needed

I hear that the basic formula is 1,000 x your norwood# = number of grafts required.

However I see people who are say a norwood 6 and they get only 2,000 grafts and the results are amazing. So my question is doesnt hair density play a huge role in what the required grafts needed would be? I am a norwood 4 and had 2500 grafts and at month 4 I am impressed with the results so far - the doctor told me I have very dense hair.

Thanks.

I hear that the basic formula is 1,000 x your norwood# = number of grafts required.

However I see people who are say a norwood 6 and they get only 2,000 grafts and the results are amazing. So my question is doesnt hair density play a huge role in what the required grafts needed would be? I am a norwood 4 and had 2500 grafts and at month 4 I am impressed with the results so far - the doctor told me I have very dense hair.

Thanks.

So much depends on what you expect from the work.

Hair characteristics do have a lot to do with it, and so do the groupings of the grafts. Of course 1&2-hair grafts are only half as effective as 3&4-hair grafts in terms of raw density gains.

I personally want an honest no-MPB appearance at least in the frontal transplanted area, and I think even the "1000 grafts for each NW level" is probably not high enough for my expectations.

-------------------------------------------------

You cannot multiply your Norwood class by 1,000 and get an appropriate number of grafts. This neglects issues like hair characteristics and patient expectations. I think 1,000 grafts for a Norwood I make no sense, nor does 2,000 grafts for a Norwood II. These patterns are not identified as hair loss patterns. 3,000 for a Norwood III? Maybe. But are we talking about a III, IIIa, or IIIv? It makes a big difference. See my point?

You referenced a Norwood VI getting a dramatic result with 2,000 grafts. It is totally possible if the grafts are used to build up a hairline/facial frame in bald area. This approach neglects the crown area, but the result from the front can be dramatic regardless.

Your case ??“ 2,500 grafts on a class IV ??“ sounds reasonable. More importantly you are pleased! Your density will impact the coverage IF your doc was refering to hairs/follicular unit.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thehairlosscure,

I agree and disagree.

I believe hair characteristics and patient expectations play a huge role in determining the number of grafts needed - however, multiplying one's NW level by 1000 (or what I say is 1000-1500) can be used as a guide.

One can also use our animated graft calculator as a nother guide in helping determine an approximate number of grafts.

I believe that "guide" and "approximate" are the two key words here that make this worth discussing. Clearly nobody can say that this is a hard fast rule.

Mrkneed,

When you are referring to "dense" hair, do you mean "thick" hair? Density often refers to the number of grafts per square CM where hair thickness typically refers the diameter of the hair shaft.

Clearly 2500 really thick hairs will appear much denser than 2500 thin ones - even though the density will be the same.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill,

"Guide" and "approximate" are the two key words, indeed! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

IMO The system does work better with range you suggest (1000-1500) - for classes III, IV, V, and VI in particular.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.