Question on using Propecia while your better half is pregnant

I have been using Propecia on and off the last couple of years. I meet with Dr. Dorin and he convinced me to get back on Propecia and stay on it. Dr. Dorin also told me that I should use a condom while my wife is pregnant. My wife's gynecologist doctor told us that uses Propecia shouldn't be a problem.

So I'm going to start using Propecia is it absolutely necessary for me to use a condom while my wife is pregnant??

Are there real risks with using Propecia during pregnancy? And what if your better half got pregnant while you where taking Propecia??

Has there been any cases of a baby being born with a problem because of Propecia?

Interesting. I know doctors warn against women even handling finasteride pills while pregnant. If it is somehow transmitted to some degree in the sperm then I suppose it could cause a problem. I would err on the side of caution. There is nothing more precious than your child.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Guest Cousin_It

LT...

First of all Merck issues no warning to those trying to conceive, that being said from everything I have read and heard the best recommendations would be to:

1-Stop the medication for one week prior to any attempts at conceiving

2-When not trying to conceive or after conception always wear a condom (if you are on Propecia)

Naturally the other warnings associated with Propecia, ie not having your wife handle any of the pills goes without saying.

So far no birth defects have been attributable to the use of Propecia if proper precautions are taken as indicated

Merck conducted very specific spermatogenesis studies that concluded there are no risks of trying to conceive while taking Propecia. If there were any risks whatsoever Merck would have it in their package insert due to liability reasons.

If the package insert isn't completely clear you can always call Merck directly.

I am the patient coordinator for Dr. Scott Alexander in Phoenix, Arizona. Dr. Alexander's Coalition Membership Profile

My wife became pregnant while I was taking Propecia. And boy was I ever paranoid until I spoke with her gynecologist. She warned against my wife touching broken tablets.

Our daughter was born perfectly healthy two months ago.

I am going to stop taking it for a month or so before we conceive our next child.

Rottun, thanks for the response and I am glad things worked out for you. My wife is 4 months pregnant with a baby boy. I was not taking Propecia at the time my wife conceived the baby. I just want to know why Dr. Dorin is the only telling me that I should use condoms while my wife is pregnant?

LT,

I've read and I can't recall where, that while it is not a problem conceiving a child while taking Propecia, there are potential problems during the preganany. If I recall correctly, the problem comes in when potentially exposing the fetus to any level of Finasteride during the development of the sex organs. I'm not sure when that occurs but I believe it happens about 10-12 weeks after conception. Something you might want to look into. Although you did say your wife is 4 months along. That's past the 10-12 week mark but I was only guessing at that time frame.