U.K. Hopefuls . . . 55 year old NW 5 has 2,500+ grafts with Dr Keene MD

SorleyBoy

Just to thank the veterans, et al, from this community who provided such valuable information prior to a 2,500+ graft procedure with Dr Keene on 27th July, 2005 in Tucson.

I'll be putting an album together in the fullness of time to illustrate H/T growth progress.

Most people should be aware of the excellent reputation that Dr Keene has cultivated over the years but I'd be willing to answer on this forum, any questions (based on my recent experience) - particularly from folks in the U.K., who are contemplating a procedure with Dr Keene of the SMG

Regards, thanks, and good luck to you all . . . Sorleyboy

Just to thank the veterans, et al, from this community who provided such valuable information prior to a 2,500+ graft procedure with Dr Keene on 27th July, 2005 in Tucson.

I'll be putting an album together in the fullness of time to illustrate H/T growth progress.

Most people should be aware of the excellent reputation that Dr Keene has cultivated over the years but I'd be willing to answer on this forum, any questions (based on my recent experience) - particularly from folks in the U.K., who are contemplating a procedure with Dr Keene of the SMG

Regards, thanks, and good luck to you all . . . Sorleyboy

Thanks for the info Sorleyboy. I will be having a procedure done by Dr. Keene in late September. What was the distribution of your 2500 grafts, front, crown?

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Gorpy

. . . Hair distribution will be between you and Dr Keene and what you envisage between yourselves as your achievable longer term goals. Whatever you see as your priority with regard to area density and coverage, be assured that Dr Keene will make carefully considered suggestions with regard to hair re-distribution, such that you have the outcome that you would prefer.

However, in answer to your question; at 55 years of age I had an established MPB (NW5) with diffuse wavy hair (~10-20 per cm2) at the median of the vertex (utilised as the inevitably ill-conceived 'comb-over') augmented with (generally) <5 per cm2 coarse hairs over the rest of the affected area. I'd bleached this some 18 months ago to reduce the contrast between hair and pate! (works - to an extent).

My 'predicament' was that, after consultation with the Shapiro Medical Group, there was a likelihood that donor hair would not be 'over-abundant' - and so the prospect of a second procedure in the future would have to be carefully assessed. (The point being - it doesn't get any better, the older you get! - but at least you know what you've got left to work with).

I wanted reasonable coverage of the crown area and wasn't concerned at all about the temples; a younger person may have wanted the opposite. A naked pate has for centuries been a distinguishing mark of humility and I was hoping that Dr Keene could suggest a procedural plan to counter this 'humiliating' disfigurement.

From 8.30am. to 19.00pm. Dr Keene and her team worked at 2,500 grafts (and an extra 100 or more that were part of the original excision) to distribute the grafts approx. 50/50 front and crown. Having initially trimmed away the 'comb-over' and longer existing hairs, and having "only a half gallon to paint the house, when we need a gallon" - the front grafts were positioned and worked into the existing coverage with a view to establishing (in about 9-12 months) a high, natural parting line running forward to a front 'peak'. Assessing how the implants would grow out, Dr Keene could maximise graft distribution by (for instance) reducing grafts on the side that would be overlain by new hair and by the meticulous angling of each implanted hair shaft.

Given that I am (was?) a NW5 - Hair density on both front and crown transplant areas, should resolve to at least 20-25 per cm2 for the one procedure - but given its wavy characteristic and the well considered placement of grafts we are confident of a sucessful outcome.

As a postscript: - with the hideous comb-over gone and all the grafts still in place (7 days post-op) the change in appearance, even with a relatively low/med. density is quite remarkable - establishing the peak at the front has taken years off me!

I'm as happy as a sand-boy and I can tell you Gorpy - that you will have a VERY positive time at Dr Keene's surgery. . .

Best regards . . . T.P. (UK.)

Thanks Sorleyboy. I'm getting more and more excited as the day approaches.

BTW - I'm 49 so I know where you're coming from.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Dr Keene the only woman member of IAHRS? And why do you direct this post to UK guys? Is she working over here now?

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

Hairworthy

I'm sure what I said was . . . "Particularly (i.e. not exclusively) from folks (I didn't say 'guys' (as in male?) - in the UK". . . .

It frightens me no end the number of UK querents who because of distance/cost/time/travel/lack of options - or whatever - still keep asking if anyone has opinions on the plethora of slaughter houses we over here still have to consider (as a matter of convenience) - for procedures.

If I can guide or re-assure just one person that it is worth going that extra mile (well 5 -6,000 actually!) . . . surely it has to be its own reward. Both you and I can speak from experience? Somebody from your or my home county might feel more comfortable talking to another Brit, wouldn't you say? . . . and there aren't that many UK forum members.

No, Dr Keene doesn't work in the UK. - I did say in the first instance that I'd travelled to Tucson.

Peace . . . T.P.

OK. My original understanding of your post was that Dr Keene was especially available for "UK hopefuls", but from what you've just explained she's still just one (good) option amongst others for those who are ready to travel and there is no particular benefit for UK guys to go to her rather than say Shapiro or Epstein. I agree that there is no decent HT surgeon in the UK (or anywhere else in Europe for that matter, with the exception of Zondos).

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

• 1 month later...

Thanks Sorley Boy. I'm from the UK and a female. Yes, we are unfortunate here - and to take that step to undergo surgery in the US with the travelling after surgery is indeed a worry.

This site has been invaluable in that it has given me all the information I need about transplants and other information, and I have yet to pluck up the courage to take that extra step to visit the US where the best are located. Also, what a selection of surgeons and who to approach. What also worries me is the shock loss factor and being so far away from my surgeon if I need support.

It has to be done, and it is something I've promised myself for some time now. What about all the costs involved - hotels, flights, number of days, etc?

Getting nearer, Bee

Bee

Hello there. Let me put your mind at rest w.r.t. travel. . . . after just a couple of days post-op you will be perfectly fit to get the plane home. (I'd be interested to know what folks see as their biggest physioligical fear with this long distance travel business . . . pain, haemorrhage, blackout - grafts popping out like porcupine quills with the cabin pressure?).

I'd have to admit, going back to see the HT surgeon is probably impractical from the UK and in this respect you are making that leap of faith based on the experience of other people. The surgeon you choose will be available to talk to you of course, but still wouldn't be able to wave a magic wand should you suffer shock loss to some degree. It's probably best to prepare for this event happening but bear in mind that it's likely to be worst at the periphery of the excision site - and that won't be seen anyway. Posts on this forum suggest that shock loss at the recipient site is quite variable and would seem to depend on, amongst other things: -

i) pre-existing loss rate,

ii) percieved loss as a function of existing hair quality,

iii) density of graft implants (i.e. trauma to existing follicles).

There will be other factors, but you get the idea that it's a bit of a black art trying to predict how the visible shock loss will manifest itself. I'd be inclined to have a good discussion with the surgeon before booking the procedure; in my case I was determined that the 'finished article' would far outweigh any shorter term disadvantages (that has to be your holy grail?)

In terms of travel costs I can only advise you to book everything via the internet. Start with Yahoo, Expedia.com etc. (both do customer reviews) and do a thorough search . . .

i) travel in the low season or take a package holiday flight to a US holiday destination and then fly on if necessary via an internal flight (again, inexpensive in the USA)

ii) If time is a factor - choose the nearest US State to Europe (probably cheaper flights anyway e.g. New York return approx. ??199 - 250)

iii) A half decent hotel/motel booked on-line can be had for ~$50-60

iv) Use ground transportation (buses) wherever possible (e.g. airport to hotel, hotel to clinic etc) . . . ~$2 per single journey (taxis ~$2-3 per mile)

Travel light - and don't forget your travel insurance.

If you are going to the USA, make a short holiday of it. Give yourself a day or two before the procedure then have a decent spell afterwards to enjoy yourself. You'll probably find that you've had a massive psychological lift anyway, so you'll be less inclined to 'worry' about your appearance. (Of no relevance to your circumstances of course, but to give you my particular experience - I was back in Las Vegas 48 hrs post-procedure and out in the 10 billion light bulb 'Fremont Street Experience' . . . hatless . . . still showing some of that purplish discolouration at the stubbly recipient site, and you know what! . . . no one even noticed . . . and I felt free of that nagging disfiguration for the first time in 20 years.

Best of luck Bee . . . Sorleyboy

I'm more than happy to offer advise to anyone in the U.K (OR OUTSIDE) with regards to ht's

Regards

spex

Yeah, and I'm travelling even further than from the UK - from Finland to the US (after Spex's excellent advice) to avoid the European slaughter houses. I will have to fly to Stockholm in Sweden first, hang round Arlanda airport in Stockholm for hours until my next flight to New York and then the same thing on my return journey. But 10 - 12 hours of misery travelling each way beats a lifetime of misery after being butchered in some European/UK slaughter house. Last time I hung round Arlanda airport, it was fairly enjoyable because it's an ultra-modern airport with shopping centers and relaxing pubs and bars where you can sit and enjoy a cool beer. I read that no alcohol is allowed for a week before HT due to its blood thinning effect so no nice cool beer this time icon_mad.gif

PB