Is numbness on head and soreness around eyes common?

Wookie

I have my first HT on 11/18/2003, so I am on day 6. Didn't know much about it, other than I know I wanted to do it. I asked my wifes plastic surgeon (she done a couple of procedures) who he would recommend and he sent me to Dr. Stephen Anderson in Bellevue, Washington. I am between a Norwood 3 Vertex and a Norwood 4. I am 43 years old and where my hair long (past shoulders) Dr. Anderson recommended 900 grafts first and then changed it to 700, saying that he wanted to minimize the amount of shock to my existing hair. The price...$4,900 for 700 grafts. Everything sounded good, since I didn't know what questions to ask.

Surgery went great, no pain, no problems. He prescribed anti-swelling, an antibotic, an pain meds. He wrapped my head tightly. No real swelling, however, I now have numbness in the scar area and wherever the hairs were placed. Is this normal? Also, I have a throbbing pressure around my eyes (alittle bruising also). Is this normal as well?

I stumbbled onto this site last night when searching for answers to these questions. After spending several hours reading through the forum topics, I feel I got a good Doc and I can expect a good result, however, I truly wish I had found this site prior to my surgery, so I would know what questions to ask and perhaps have dialed in a different Doc.

Oh well, it is what it is.

Peace

I have my first HT on 11/18/2003, so I am on day 6. Didn't know much about it, other than I know I wanted to do it. I asked my wifes plastic surgeon (she done a couple of procedures) who he would recommend and he sent me to Dr. Stephen Anderson in Bellevue, Washington. I am between a Norwood 3 Vertex and a Norwood 4. I am 43 years old and where my hair long (past shoulders) Dr. Anderson recommended 900 grafts first and then changed it to 700, saying that he wanted to minimize the amount of shock to my existing hair. The price...$4,900 for 700 grafts. Everything sounded good, since I didn't know what questions to ask.

Surgery went great, no pain, no problems. He prescribed anti-swelling, an antibotic, an pain meds. He wrapped my head tightly. No real swelling, however, I now have numbness in the scar area and wherever the hairs were placed. Is this normal? Also, I have a throbbing pressure around my eyes (alittle bruising also). Is this normal as well?

I stumbbled onto this site last night when searching for answers to these questions. After spending several hours reading through the forum topics, I feel I got a good Doc and I can expect a good result, however, I truly wish I had found this site prior to my surgery, so I would know what questions to ask and perhaps have dialed in a different Doc.

Oh well, it is what it is.

Peace

Hi there wooky.

Numbness in the recipient & doner area are perfectly normal, it is to do with nerves being cut or damaged, it all gets back to nornal after a while , i am 5 weeks post hair transplant of 3331 grafts an I was numb in places for a long time , only just got all feeling back , & it still feels a little tender in places, dont worry.

700 grafts is quite a small number ( & a bit pricey I think ), Did the Dr use Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation (or FUT for short) ? this is preferable to Mini or Micro grafts.

anyway good luck & Happy Healing

Bytes

Your swelling and other symptoms seem typical. At 6 days, all of this should be at the peak, and get better from here. But, the price for 700 units is way high unless it was FUE. I did 4400 strip FU for about $13,000.

I all likelihood, you'll need more units after that. I'd do some more shopping and read posts on this site.

My Pix and Hair Mentor page with advice on Choosing a Doc, anti-swelling and healing advice

Thanks Guys,

Yeah, after a bit of reading in here, my price does seem too high, which pisses me off.

Also, to go through the HT for only 700 grafts seems underutilized. With that said, I do think that a denser packing might introduce more "shock loss".

I think "shock loss" is an area that no one (not even the best HT docs) understand. More research should probably be done on this subject.

Wookie