avodart-dutasteride

bort

hi yall, long time troller first time poster. im 32 balding ( dag nabbit!!) and have a question... i noticed i was starting to lose my hair at 19..i was a long haired rocker so it was easy to tell... then at about 23 i started propecia... a fricking godsend... after like a year it kept me going strong till about now (6 years later) .. now im seeing hairloss thats really hard to deal with and although im all for a transplant and will probably get a one ..eventually ..im trying to hold off as long as i can... so my question is...has anyone who hit the propecia end curve switched to avodart or the likes and seen results...and if so or not..anyone who takes avodart.. where do you get it or is it eay to get a doc to prescribe without prostate problems?? from one going baldy to any who answers...thanks icon_smile.gif

I wasn't losing any benefit when I switched from finasteride (propecia) to Avodart so I can't say that my experience will mirror yours, but I can say that I am happy with Avodart thus far (about 18 months).

I did shed heavily for about 2 months starting about 2 months after I started using it though so that's something you want to consider. It's a pretty common phenomenon with Avodart.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 4 weeks later...

so you have to take one or the other, can you take both? or the side effects will be to great? i know a few guys that are taking both finsteride and dutasteride..

Igydigitek,

You are only meant to take one of them. I stayed on Propecia for 10 days in combination with Avodart. I also front loaded my Avodart dosage in the first 10 days (2.5mg per day) to get my DHT inhibition to the most optimal level in the shortest amount of time. This was NOT recommended by my doctor but I decided upon this course of action after looking at the dosage charts for Avodart.

So far after 1 month of use I haven't noticed too much going on (not much shedding either).

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Originally posted by Igydigitek:

so you have to take one or the other, can you take both? or the side effects will be to great? i know a few guys that are taking both finsteride and dutasteride..

As Jake said, just take either or. Here's the deal.................Propecia (finasteride) is a blocker of DHT AR II, Avodart (Duasteride) is a blocker of DHT AR II and DHT AR I. To take both would be fruitless..........Avodart provides the same DHT blocking ability as Propecia with the kicker of being able to block DHT AR I as well. I'm not sure why anyone would take both or how that would provide any benefit whatsoever.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.