Gaps after HT

EastCoast

I am 8 months post op with Dr. Jones. I had some fue work (1k grafts). He did some corrective work in a scarred area. I still have gaps in some area's. Did the graft die or does it take up to a year to fill in. It seems I have limited growth and almost still look like I did when I went in. Any veteran opinions on growth issue's? WILL THE GAPS FILL IN?

I am 8 months post op with Dr. Jones. I had some fue work (1k grafts). He did some corrective work in a scarred area. I still have gaps in some area's. Did the graft die or does it take up to a year to fill in. It seems I have limited growth and almost still look like I did when I went in. Any veteran opinions on growth issue's? WILL THE GAPS FILL IN?

Grafts can die for 2 reasons: they were left out of solution for too long or they were transected. The former is unlikely since you received FUE, but the latter is certainly possible. Dr. Jomes is probably using one instrument to remove the grafts instead of two -- a sharp to dislodge and a dull to remove. He may have transected the graft.

It is also possible that the grafts haven't grown yet, but I have always known FUE grafts to grow quicker (because there is generally less tissue surrounding the graft). icon_cool.gif

It can take up to 12 months for regrowth but it is rare not to have any after 4 months. FUE is a risk with regrowth has sometimes has lower regrowth than strip because the grafts can be transected upon "punch out" verus a strip where a microspoce is used looking at the "cross section" of the graft thereby having a greater percent of not transection any grafts/or bulb of the graft. Until this can get perfected, a lot of top notch surgeons are not doing FUE and just doing strip.

I would give it another few months, then look into another HT if your not happy with the results.

• 2 weeks later...

hard to say for sure...

A scarred recipient area can show growth slower than a virgin area.

However, if you already have some growth in that exact scarred area, then I would expect the existing grafts to mature, but I suspect that new sprouts are not going to appear.

When we talk about hair transplants "maturing" over time, we mean that the existing grafts gain thickness, not that a whole new wave of additional crops appears.

However in your case, where you are grafting into a scarred area, it may be that some grafts will be slow to emerge. My suspiscion, though, is that you are looking at your yield now, and should not expect additional grafts to appear, just some additional maturity.