Shapiro Medical Scars

I had my HT almost 3 months ago, with Dr. Paul Shapiro, at SMG.

My hair is mostly white and I usually keep it about 2" long all over. I have to look very close to find my donor scar, given the length and color of my hair. Right now its redness is the only way I can find it, and that redness is fading. I did not have much redness in the transplant area, and it quickly disappeared. I could would not cut my hair short, but if I did, I think 1/4" could cover the donor scar.

Donor scars usually follow a natural ridge in the skull, and wearing your hair a bit longer is a small price to pay for hair on the top of your head! Most people do not know about donor scars and what they look like, unless they had a HT, or are researching having one.

Soulja be at ease my friend you are in great hands if you choose to go to Shapiro. I being a previous pt (about 3 months post op) was nervous and contacted Janna to ask questions. I was informed that it was repair work, not a virgin scalp that was shown in the pictures. Just like M&M said the scar was from a previous "clinic" that had to be repaired. M&M do you have any immediate post op pics of your scar from Bosely you wouldn't mind sharing?

You only live once...

Originally posted by PLEASE GROW PLEASE:

If you just go for ONLY the revision and take whatever grafts that gets you ,youll have a MUCH better chance of a thinner scar.

If you go for another session youll probably be back to where you started,unless your stretchback was caused by something you might of did.

The majority of wide scars that were closed properly was because too much donor was removed to fulfill your frontal needs

Its a sucky tradeoff but it it what it is.

Excessive tension is usually the MAIN culprit.

No matter who the doctor is its almost impossible to meet you expectations in the front and just take the perfect amount of tissue from the back without some form of tension, especially in multiple sessions where laxity is an issue.

The great news is ths SMG is stepping up to the plate and standing behind you. That is rare these days.

PGP - I think what you say makes a lot of sense, but I'd think that I would be warned in advance if the odds of getting scar increased that dramatically with each procedure, especially given that my original goals were: 1. soften hairline, 2. thicken hairline, and 3. minimize donor scar with a tricho closure.

It's for this reason, I'm so anxious to see some patients who have had a few surgeries and what the scar looked like afterwards.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Originally posted by Arrie:

Soulja be at ease my friend you are in great hands if you choose to go to Shapiro. I being a previous pt (about 3 months post op) was nervous and contacted Janna to ask questions. I was informed that it was repair work, not a virgin scalp that was shown in the pictures. Just like M&M said the scar was from a previous "clinic" that had to be repaired. M&M do you have any immediate post op pics of your scar from Bosely you wouldn't mind sharing?

Hi Arrie,

I wish I did, but I don't believe that I really do. I'll scour my hard drive a little bit further to find some photos of the scar left by Bosley.

As for 'immediate post-op', I certainly do not. I had the work done back as recently as only six or seven years ago, but I must admit that I didn't document anything back then. Makes me wonder if anyone really did??

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog