Consultation

After reading this forum for a few months I have decided to go with either doctors Cooley, Shapiro, or Rose. Do they conduct online (with pictures) or phone consultations or do you have to fly out for a consultation then fly back again for the procedure.

After an out of town procedure do you need to fly back to the doctor to have the sutures removed?

I know there are a lot of different opinions out there but who from above is the best HT surgeon?

After reading this forum for a few months I have decided to go with either doctors Cooley, Shapiro, or Rose. Do they conduct online (with pictures) or phone consultations or do you have to fly out for a consultation then fly back again for the procedure.

After an out of town procedure do you need to fly back to the doctor to have the sutures removed?

I know there are a lot of different opinions out there but who from above is the best HT surgeon?

Hi Rottun, (1/15/2006)

The "Best." That is a good question. Because every surgeon and patient are unique, I'm not sure how to answer it.

All the surgeons you mention are first class!

It kinda reminds me of dating and chemistry. When you go out with several "perfect" women, all are incredible, with some there is "chemistry" and others there just isn't...ok...maybe it is not a great analogy but there are a lot of excellent doctors out there...how do you choose?

The good news is, it is easier to weed out the surgeons who are hacks or disingenuous. In the end, time always tells.

Here are some thoughts:

-The best surgeons tend to do excellent work, consistently over the time.

-They hold to high standards and continue learning.

-They have a good staff that work well as a team and have low turnover.

-They are candid, have integrity and care about their patients.

-They pay attention to detail and have a creative, artistic flare.

-They are knowledgeable of the science of hair transplantation and are always looking for new ways to improve quality.

-They are an artist who continue honing artistic skill...much like a painter. They are painting your scalp with your hair.

-If there is an issue, they do what it takes to make it right.

-And or course, they have many satisfied patients.

What else would anyone add?

To narrow down your search, try some of these options with each clinic:

-Continue to research the Internet, forums and google the doctors.

-Do an online consultation with each clinic

-Talk to the main contact person on the phone.

-Email the main contact a few questions and correspond back and forth.

-See if you can talk with the main doctor briefly.

-Visit and consult with a few local surgeons, even if they are not on your list. It never hurts to talk to as many people as possible. It gives you a good feel for what to look for. After making a few inquiries at a local clinic, it helped crystallized what I wanted and didn't want and made my decision easier down the road.

-Email or call some of the patients on this forum.

-Make a pro/con list comparing the surgeons, prices and what your "gut" says.

The key is to ask questions, listen, collect information, take notes and get a good "feel" for what works for you.

Even with all the best information it eventually comes down to a leap of faith. And even under ideal circumstances things can happen.

After talking, visiting, and emailing you will get good information and a feel for whom you might feel comfortable with. You may even want to visit your top two choices in person.

Time is on your side. Keep us posted on your search.

I did an initial live consultation with a local HT surgeon. I looked him up on this website and found that he didn't use microscopes and used a double blade technique. After reading this forum, I chose Dr. Cooley. I sent Dr. Cooley photographs, did a phone consultation and showed up the day of the surgery. You can check out my weblog for details but I can honestly say I couldn't be happier with my decision to see Dr. Cooley. I'm having one of my associates take out my sutures and really the surgery was so clean there's no need for a post op session. I probably won't see Cooley until September when we'll schedule my next surgery.

Ifloss Weblog

Michael

HT 1-13-06 Dr. Cooley 2600 grafts

My Hair Loss Weblog

My Photo Album

Originally posted by rottun:

As Maximus stated, all of the physicians that you listed are definitely "first class". Choosing between them is most definitely choosing between "excellent," "excellent," and "excellent."

Each of them have virtual consultation forms, which allows you to send your information and photos quickly and confidentially to the clinic to recieve an initial diagnosis via email. I have listed each physician's virtual consultation form for you below:

Dr. Ron Shapiro's virtual consultation form

Dr. Jerry Cooley's virtual consultation form

Dr. Paul Rose's virtual consultation form

To check out previous patient posts and reviews on each physician, conduct a forum keyword search on each. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised that each physician you listed has had repeated praise from previous patients.

Hope this helps! Good luck in your research!

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog