Two Ops, 3 years on Proscar, now Shedding.WHY?

Dear Sirs and Fellow Sufferers.

Your knowledge and experience on the following would be really appreciated. I am 30, have had two procedures (in London - June 02 and with Ron Shapiro in Dec 03). I have been on Proscar since the first operation. Since visiting Ron (who is brilliant) I have experienced amazing results - honestly. I always go through the shedding phases, but all is well after a few weeks. However, I have now been shedding for just over three months. I am now the thinnest I have been in a long time. During this period, I had a three week gap when I didn't have any Proscar. Could this be the cause? Should I worry?

I try and and wash no more than twice a week at most, as hair fall out when I do so. I have attached two photos..The close up is of my hair one year post op and the second is one and a half years post second op. Since this time where I great density, it's gone downhill!! Any ideas? How long do the shedding phases last? Does three weeks off proscar make a difference?

As always, your advice, comments and wisdom and really appreciated.

PS: I tried Fincar for a while but it didn't work for me - I ended up with acne! I ended up buying this stuff in 'bulk' (about 15 strips) If anyone wants any for FREE, I can post this to you, if it works for you. I was aiming this at those losing hair who may have not have the money...All I ask is that you make a small donation to any charity of your choice, in your own time.

year_post_first_op.JPG.b19fadf4e83b55a04c7d65bc3fc4eb45.JPG

Dear Sirs and Fellow Sufferers.

Your knowledge and experience on the following would be really appreciated. I am 30, have had two procedures (in London - June 02 and with Ron Shapiro in Dec 03). I have been on Proscar since the first operation. Since visiting Ron (who is brilliant) I have experienced amazing results - honestly. I always go through the shedding phases, but all is well after a few weeks. However, I have now been shedding for just over three months. I am now the thinnest I have been in a long time. During this period, I had a three week gap when I didn't have any Proscar. Could this be the cause? Should I worry?

I try and and wash no more than twice a week at most, as hair fall out when I do so. I have attached two photos..The close up is of my hair one year post op and the second is one and a half years post second op. Since this time where I great density, it's gone downhill!! Any ideas? How long do the shedding phases last? Does three weeks off proscar make a difference?

As always, your advice, comments and wisdom and really appreciated.

PS: I tried Fincar for a while but it didn't work for me - I ended up with acne! I ended up buying this stuff in 'bulk' (about 15 strips) If anyone wants any for FREE, I can post this to you, if it works for you. I was aiming this at those losing hair who may have not have the money...All I ask is that you make a small donation to any charity of your choice, in your own time.

hey king,

perhaps you are just shedding more of your natural hair. proscar doesnt stop your hairloss altogether, just slows it down.

btw you only posted 1 pic. also, do you have a before pic. would be 'smashing' to see where you started.

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

Originally posted by LondonGuyGraftKing:

During this period, I had a three week gap when I didn't have any Proscar. Could this be the cause?

Don't think so. Had a 2 week gap already with no shedding whatsoever. But then again everyone is different.

I try and and wash no more than twice a week at most, as hair fall out when I do so.

Makes no odds. Washing you hair every day or once a month won't change a thing, it's a myth. The second choice will get you greasy hair though.

I tried Fincar for a while but it didn't work for me - I ended up with acne!

No surprise here, this stuff is crap. Steer well clear from it and stick to the ORIGINAL product. Don't play with your health.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

Originally posted by baldcasanova:

perhaps you are just shedding more of your natural hair. proscar doesnt stop your hairloss altogether, just slows it down.

That is also my view on this case.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

I have to agree with everything you heard already from Hairworthy. You are most likely going through a natural shedding phase as Cas pointed out too. However, it may be from the switching up of med's between the name-brand and generic. Sometimes it is nearly impossible to hunt down the cause of the shed. Such is the way.

My best advice: Get back on name-brand finasteride, use it consistently, and start using Nizoral 2% 3x a week along with a gentle shampoo on other days.

Best of luck to you.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog