AVERAGE # OF FU

Shapiro Medical Group sent me a nice brouchere that gave very detailed pictures on the number of grafts that would be needed according to your Norwood class. Of course, an important point is that hair shaft diameter, color, characteristics are also an important corollary to how many graft you'll need. Just my opinion I'm no doc! Good luck to you.

EastCoast,

As the others have said, I the # of grafts varies. I have met one guy who was a NW 5 and had 4,000 grafts and looks great. I've also met another NW 5 who had 5,000 and another that had 3,000....they all looked good.

If your hair has any curl to it that will add density and if you have lighter hair with lighter skin that helps too.

After doing research for my own hair transplant I believe that to achieve an appearance of a nice head of hair you would need approximately 8,500-10,000 hairs for a person with coarse hair, and 10,000 to 12,000 hairs for someone with fine hair. The question of how many FU's varies upon hair density. If someone has density of 2.0 hairs per FU , which is the average, then the number of FU's needed would range from 4,250 to 5,000 for coarse hair and 5,000 to 6,000 FU's for fine hair. Multiply $4.00 per FU by how many you will need and this will give you the cost of a hair transplant. Of course if you want to complicate things more what if your density is 1.5 hair per graft? You will need 7,000 or more FU''s and the donor area may not have that many. You then have to leave the crown area bald. It gets very complicated. This is why transplants are good for men in their 40's and 50's because those men would be happy with a mature hairline and adequate coverage, The younger men on here think the transplant is a cure and its not.You cannot get the same density as you had at 20 years old its impossible.

my previous post assumes that the person is a Norwood 5a to 6. If you are lower you will need less hairs but remember unless yopu take propecia you may become a Norwood 6 or 7 and will need that many hairs over your lifetime

I'm a bit confused about what you mean by a Norwood 5 without crown balding. A norwood 5 or 5a has a fair amount of crown balding.

I will try to approach the problem a little differently and hopefully answer youe question.

First let me point out that at birth most people have about 80-100 follicular units per sq cm. To see thinning/baldness the density has probably diminished to 40-50 fu per sq cm. In most men the frontal region measures about 90-110 sq cm. Assuming that the area is 100 sq cm we would probably suggest transplanting 2000+ grafts in an initial session.This would give a density of 20fu per sq cm which would be fairly thin. In some men with light colored hair that is coarse,curly or wavy such a density might make them happy.Most men will choose to have a second session to reach a density of at least 40 fu per sq cm.This density often offers adequate density as their is a high degree of camouflage from the shingling of hairs as well as gradients of density that can be constructed. In some instances, especially patients with darkhair and light complexions, a third session of perhaps 1000+ grafts may be desired.

As noted in previous posts a great deal depends on hair characteristics such as caliber,color,texture etc.Of course patient expectations must be taken into account as well.

Paul T. Rose, MD, JD

President ISHRS

Board of Trustees ISCLS

Dr. Paul Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I was told I was a five. Where exactly is the crown defined, I believe it is the very top and

runs down the back. My whole top is thin, but when i look into a mirror at the back of my head (not top) there is still very strong hair.