Dr reccomendation in NYC/Long Island

gost

Also, this guy is coloring his hair and that is not helping him. He will look 1000 times better on white hair. It will reduce the contrast and giving him a more natural look for his age.

arfy, you didnt metion al gore.. i got confused. sorry

Wizard, Noreaster, Monty et. al.

I think a new thread on "what it takes" to get a satisfactory hair transplant is a good idea. It would separate that topic from this thread which started out on the topic of picking a physician (which is WAY important, but a somewhat separate consideration).

I, for one, wouldn't want a repetitive, highly expensive, long-term commitment to another HT every year. Yet, I have no idea as to how much "density" is satisfactory. Sure, I've seen the photos "John Q. has had 1800 grafts" but that doesn't tell me how many grafts per cm2, and the photos don't usually show you the back of the head, only the facial, or front shot. And there are lots of considerations regarding the "caliber" or thickness of your hair shafts that are never mentioned with the photos.

So, I think a new thread would be appropriate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You are the first person in the history of hair transplantation to tell me I actually transplanted an area TOO DENSE! THANKS!

You are trying to put a spin on my comments, and that's not nice.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Would you prefer a different strategy?

Give me your honest opinions.

You ask for honest opinions, then you try to spin what I say, and tell me my negative response is wrong, because we are talking about something that is objective and not subjective. That's a crock of baloney.

This guy does not look good to me. Period!

That's not a hairline I would pick. Not just for me personally, I mean for anybody his age. As someone else commented, his hairline doesn't match the recession in his temples (in front of his ears). The shape is off somehow, as someone else said. This guy's hairline doesn't look natural to me, it doesn't seem soft enough.

Dr.Feller :

Thoase results if it were MY head would be very disappointing.If this guy was going to get more procedures all of the grafts could have been placed over time in the frontal region and spread thruout over ALL sessions.He looks like a freak to tell you the truth.

I was under the impression ( at least from my doctor Dr.Limmer ) that all procedures should be done to the point where another procedure was not mandatory that it could stand alone on its own. icon_wink.gif

Arfy,

First off, RELAX! I'm not trying to "spin" your words.

I beleive it was noreaster who has posted time and time agan that you can never really attain a high density after transplantation. Now you, someone who knows a thing or two about density, chimes in and says that my work is too dense. I just couldn't resist bringing up the dicotomy.

I am not attacking you personally when I tell you that your assesment of the hairline is wrong, nor is it subjective.

Let me explain. The lowest border of a hairline is not set by me, but rather by how far forward the temple hair is. The futher forward the temple hair, the lower I can place the hairline. The further back the temple, the higher the hairline and the deeper the recession. When you look at this patient's amount of side hair recession, I have no choice but to place the hairline where I did. Had I raised the hairline any more than I did, he would look like he had a mohawk. If I dropped it, he would have a scant looking hairline that intersectd the temple hair at a wrong angle and that would look unnatural. There are, of course, more variables but I think you get my point.

Perhaps because he is a work in progess many of you can't see past the unfinshed area. I mocked one up on photoshop to give you all an idea of how he will look in another seven months. Perhaps it will help

future.jpg

ANY BETTER LOOKING?

Dr. Feller

I was only busting chops about the "PREFER" "PROFFER" thing. No offense meant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You are right, while I can't say who the "best" surgeon is in NY, I certainly DO know who the worst are. You all know who this is as well, so there is no need to repeat it.

Actually there is, when people ar looking to spend thousands of dollars in hopes of becoming a "complete" man again, and are spoon-fed buckets of BS from the media, then yes, you can't repeat enough times who is the best, better, good or bad.

it took me over a year of research before I decided who I would go to, and all I needed was some frontal hairline work, I can't imagine how I would have researched it if I needed my whole head done. I scrutinized every last word and post on this board, and trust me, I work in the print design and web industry, I have for over 8 years, I know all the resources, places to visit, etc... for information, and if I were to have followed search engines, I would have gone to a place like BOSLEY or NUHART. Thank God I put time and energy into this one. i didn't even have to ask a question here, I just read through the thousands of posts and all my questions were answered, and the fwe that I had left, were answered by Matt Zupan at Shapiro Medical.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have been on this site for months and I have not seen an example of bad work performed using FUs. All the stories I've read about FUs have been positive. Don't confuse stories involving mingrafting and plugs with newer techniques.

You're right, I haven't seen a bad one on this board either, thank God. But there are those on here who have posted that they had bad results. And that helps too. And I'm not confusing anything here. I have done my research VERY thoroughly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you can make a formula that quantifies the criteria of: subjective results, price, number of grafts, number of surgeries, etc and make it apply to the whole of humanity (or the average HT patient demographic) I would like to see it.

I developed a sort-of Pythagorean Theorem-like equation for this.

hair-equation.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Your comparison of Bosley to Shapiro is too extreme and supports my statement that too many viewers and posters see HT doctors as either Angels or Devils.

On the contrary, it is a VERY VALID comparison. There IS NO middle of the road on this. There is either good or bad results. The proof of that is that MEDIOCRE results are = to bad results. Therefore there are only GOOD or BAD results adn hence one can say that it is in the HT Docs hands as to which results a patient may get, assuming said patient takes care of the recipient site the way he/she should.

And, since the mainstream only plays commecials by Bosley or NuHart, and ACCREDITED doctors seem to not want to place TV ads so as not to seem like a "MILL" for HT's, then, people are victim to that which they are only allowed to see or hear or become aware of. Keep in mind, not everybody has the internet or knows how to find resources like this. As ridiculous as it may seem, it is so true.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Re-read the thread before you "question my motives". I clearly wrote that the doctors in the NEW YORK catagory of THIS SITE are empathetic toward their patients and passionate about their work.

Actually, that's not true, being a rather educated person, and coming from a rather prestigiuos school and having a major in the Liberal Arts, I can say that your claim does not ring true. Your exact quote was :

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>who is the "best surgeon" in New York and can promise you that ALL of the surgeons listed on this website will not leave you with a regret. And ALL of the surgeons (yes I've met them all)

Now, you emphasized the word "all" as "ALL of the surgeons on this site", NOT "all of the surgeons on this site from New York"

I'm not nit-picking, but you have to agree that if someone who was distraught about losing their hair read that line and trusted your word, then they would, in essence, be taking your word as "gospel", but yet you defamed the board earlier by saying "Until now I beleived websites like this one were beneficial to patients and doctors alike. Now I'm not so sure."

See, I'm looking at it from a "users" view, not a doctor's view. Either way, ALL is a pretty strong word, nobody can ever claim that they know ALL or have met ALL or ALL of anything.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Dr. Bosley is not on this site is he?

No, I never said it was, but it's everywhere else on the web and on TV and the radio as well, and THOSE are the most available resources to the common person. As you, as an educated man, can tell, there are THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of people who have been "butchered" by them, do you think those people all came to this board and did their research here? Hell No! They got suckered by the mainstream ads and media.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The comparison to the Unibomber is a bit much don't you think?

It was a joke, hence the icon_wink.gif but it did have validity, you can not claim quality of work based upon someone's mind. That's just a fact. No offense meant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I participate on this site because I enjoy sharing the information I've acquired over the years with those who are interested. If I wanted to "knock" this board I would simply not view or post on it.

i respect that and honor it, but when somebody posts a reply that has obvious holes in it, I have to plug them. As you said, you're dealing with people who are distraught about losing hair, they are delicate, and they take doctors word as "gospel". So it's best to be open before posting that the board is not useful to patients or doctors.

This board is the BEST resource out there for REAL and ACCURATE information.

That's just a FACT. Ask anyone here, they will agree.

icon_smile.gif

Hi Dr. Feller, i never said one couldn't achieve density, maybe someone else, but what I question is what is the appropriate level?i just brought that up on a different thread. Now the 2nd gentleman you posted to me seems to have a more aesthetically acceptable result. Is that because the 1st gentleman's side recession? Could that guy benefit from a blending of some fu's on the side?

Doctor in my opinion its a better look.Much softer on the eye. How many grafts per cm 2 did you use compared to the first gentleman. Doctor I also want to personally thank you for contributing to this site your threads really help us understand the whole process better.

Hello Noreaster, good to hear from you.

Yes, the big difference between this guy and the first guy is the positon of his temple hair. Also, look at how much higher the temple hair rises onto the head compared to the first guy. At his age, I don't think there is a lot of side recession in store for him.

The other big difference is the overall density. I would say he was transplanted at an average of 25 grafts per cm sq. I admit he looks great in the picture, but in real life he is rather thin. We already scheduled him for surgery number two this December as per our original plan.

Interesting that you guys prefer this guy. I wouldn't. Perhaps it is because we are looking at photographs.

I think the best thing to do is have an open house for you guys and ask a few patients (particularly these two) to attend. I would really like your real world opinions.

One of the reasons I read this board so closely is to get the opinion of the average patient. It is invaluable when it comes to strategy. In the end I know who I work for...I work for you! So keep the comments coming. Don't worry, I can take it. If a surgery is physically possible by the laws of man and nature I can do it. Let's keep working together so I can discover what the best way is.

Thanks to everybody

Dr. Feller

Doctor I think its better aesthetically speaking of course, to spread the grafts out more like in the 2nd picture. After all when someone tells us 20, 25 or 35 grafts per cm2 that is fine, but is no substitute for seeing the results.I feel in the second case the patient can tell you to go back and fill in here and there. The first patient is sort of the point of no return. If you don't like the dense look you are stuck with it till the next surgery or maybe more.The thinner look you can live with, it doesn't look disproportionate.