FUE Tools

Just been reading about Dr Fellars patented 'Feller Punch' which minimizes twisting forces and therefore should improve results. Are there many coalition doctors that are now using this tool and if not, why?

As i'm considering FUE (some of this forum have stated that i might be a candidate), doesn't it really mean that my best options are limited to New York i.e Dr Fellars?

If innovation is made, shouldn't all doctors be getting on board. It would be an absolute nightmare if got the op done in Europe and the results were shoddy...

Just been reading about Dr Fellars patented 'Feller Punch' which minimizes twisting forces and therefore should improve results. Are there many coalition doctors that are now using this tool and if not, why?

As i'm considering FUE (some of this forum have stated that i might be a candidate), doesn't it really mean that my best options are limited to New York i.e Dr Fellars?

If innovation is made, shouldn't all doctors be getting on board. It would be an absolute nightmare if got the op done in Europe and the results were shoddy...

bash777,

Coalition member Dr. Ron Shapiro mentioned to me in an email that he is using the new Feller motorized tool for follicular unit extraction. Additionally, Coalition member Dr. Devroye of Belgium shared his thoughts and experience with it on our hair loss forum. However, I'm not sure if he is usnig it as a regular part of his practice or not. Both doctors were impressed with its useability.

Like anything else, it takes time for hair restoration physicians to adopt new tools and techniques into their practice, mostly because it takes awhile for something new to truly become accepted. Whether or not the new Feller tool will become widely accepted as superior to other tools is yet to be known. However, I do commend Dr. Feller and other leading surgeons who continue to work toward improving the hair transplant profession. To see how this FUE tool has garnered interest, visit the hair loss forum topic "A New Surgical Instrument for FUE". Hopefully Dr. Feller will present this new tool to his colleagues at the annual ISHRS (International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery) scientific meeting in Amsterdam this year.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks Bill - good to know that Dr Shapiro is onboard to (if the tool does enhance results it can only be a good thing for any potential FUE patient). Just out of interest, would you consider this form of treatment if you required less than 2,000 grafts to your frontal zone?

I will be having a consultation with both Dr Devroye & Dr Feriduni next month and will add this pointer to my discussion...

Bash 77

I have used the Feller Motorized Extraction Device now with several patients since receiving it. It was definately made the extraction process easier and more efficient.

What I have found great about the device is that I can concentrate more on the exact angles and depth of the extraction process then having to manually twist the punch.

I have some video that I took that I will post in the near future using the Feller Device.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks Bill - good to know that Dr Shapiro is onboard to (if the tool does enhance results it can only be a good thing for any potential FUE patient). Just out of interest, would you consider this form of treatment if you required less than 2,000 grafts to your frontal zone?

Bash777,

Possibly. Though because I know strip surgery has been historically more consistent, I'd probably still go with strip followed by FUE in the future if I was "stripped out".

FUE can be as viable of a solution as strip, but only in certain cases. I'd have to learn whether or not FUE could be a suitable solution for me by consulting with a few leading FUE surgeons in the field.

Take your time to research and don't jump into anything too fast.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thank you for your sound advice Bill. I'm looking forward to hearing the opinions of both Dr's in due course.

Dr Gabel, thank you for making us aware of the changes your end - glad to hear that you consider it an improvement. Are you aware of any other doctors out there that are using this tool? I would be interested to hear their feedback also.

Follow-up questions for patients and doctors:

Patient: Do you want to be, say the first (or early), patient to have a doctor doing FUE for the first time on you with a new instrument?

Docs: If you are new with a device, do you charge the patient for this "experiment"?

Thanks.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Sorry HH, didn't quite grasp your last pointer (sorry, its probably the way i'm reading it!).

Bill/Spex/Others, are there any any other tools competing with the tool at present? If so, what doctors are using them please.

For any one, that's considering a FUE, this kind of info is key (especially if a greater yield can be expected)

Cheers...

hi bash i see your considering ferudini for fue.im also considering him but recently found out that he doesnt do the extractions his staff do.considering that extraction for fue is highly important i found this a bit of a turn off.

bash77 - I'm not aware of the other doctors using the device; hopefully as they use it they will post their experience with it. As I wrote, it has made the FUE process much easier and more precise.

HairHope: The first patient I used the device on was a patient of mine who has had many transplants that he had very limited donor hair. Before he met me, he had several scalp reductions and "plug" procedures that his only option was FUE. He was very excited to be my first patient with the new device and it went well. Because I was new to the device, I did not charge him for the FUE. I would not call it an experiement - I've been performing FUE for years. This is new instrumentation for a procedure I've done many times in the past. This patient probably got a better result with a higher yield using the Feller instrument as it makes the whole FUE process easier.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Bash,

An experienced FUE doctor does not NEED my insturment to perform good work because he has probably already developed the skill to do so manually over the years. But, I contend from my own experience (and that of Dr. Alexander, Dr. Gabel, Dr. Devroye, Dr. Lindsey, and Dr. Ron Shapiro) that should an experienced FUE doctor use my instrumentation that they will be able to perform the same high quality work but with less effort and strain.

Also, if a doctor is going to start performing FUE then he would do better to begin with my motorized tool and specialized punches as opposed to using off the shelf instruments.

Dr Gabel/Dr Feller,

Firstly, thank you for taking part in this discussion - really appreciate the input and the info you're both providing.

Paddy has commented that Dr Feriduni (a doctor that i'm seeing next month for a consultation) doesn't do the extractions himself. Is this also the same for your practices and should potential patients have any need for concern by this disclosure? Cheers...

Appreciate the doctors may not always have the time to respond to these posts, so maybe someone else can enlighten me? I'll be seeing Dr Ferduni soon anyway so i'll discuss his routine with him in further detail.

Really just trying to find out how involved the dr should be with a fUe operation? Are most practices the same and what should a patients realistic expectations be?

Thanks everyone!

I don't know about other states and countries, but the doctor must be the one who scores the skin with the punch. Thereafter a technician can remove the graft legally.

In my practice I score all target grafts and my team removes them, then places them under the microscope for inspection and trimming.

Excellent, this is the way it should be done - however I doubt most docs score them, more likely you will see a tech.

Follow-up to Dr. Feller: Given your device is more efficient, do you foresee the pricing improve?

Originally posted by Dr. Alan Feller:

In my practice I score all target grafts and my team removes them, then places them under the microscope for inspection and trimming.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Dr Fellar, thank you for your quick response. I hate to appear stupid but what do we mean "Score the skin with the punch"? You state that the dr MUST be the one who carries this through yet HH doubts this? I'll simply have to find out by asking all performing doctors I guess!

Assuming the doctor of initial choice doesn't undertake this elememy, i guess it's advisable that the patient doesn't proceed with this surgery? Ultimately, we have no real idea of the technicans background/experience so it could potentially be quite a worrying affair throughout the op (even if the doctor is part of the coalition)

If anyone else would like to contribute to this (especially those that have had FUE) please do...

I think that if a clinic has been producing good and consistent work, then who cares whose hands are actually on the instruments...AS LONG AS IT'S LEGAL.

When I had my HT performed with Dr. Seager (may he rest in peace and be remembered well)his techs did all the work except for the strip removal. I knew that going in and had no problem with it at all. I had a stunning result.

Simply ask your clinic who does the hands on work and enquire as to the experience of those doing the work.

Hairhope:

No. I don't see the price of FUE going down as a result of this tool. There is much more to an FUE than this tool, and while it most certainly relieves the strain on the doctor, this will likely translate into higher quality grafts rather than lower cost ones.

I contend that a clinic simply can't stay in business and produce high quality work without billing atleast $8 to $10 per FUE graft. It's not an opportunistic gauging on the part of the clinic, but a simple and basic economic reality.

Thanks again Dr Fellar.

For me as a patient, the results may be consistent but how do I know that a fairly newish techican isn't performing my op? i appreciate that they probably undergo extensive training but we'd all probably opt for experience/and a dr any day of the week.

In relation to consistency, i think there's plenty of doctors that submit their success weekly/monthly but there are others that we only occassionally hear from (i personally get a little scared by this - maybe there's no reason to though)

Re your FUE punch, you've mentioned that this will "likely translate into higher quality grafts rather than lower cost ones." This being the case, i'm really hope more doctors jump on board sooner than later (for the benefit of all hair loss pple)

Sorry, one more thing from me then i'll shut up (I can hear everyone say "thank goodness" icon_smile.gif)

The punch seemingly will produce better results (because of it's efficiencies) so why should i choose to use a dr that rarely provides albums for viewing? What does this forum judge as consistent by way of volume/no of photo submissions?

Dr Fellar, for peace of mind I would rather come to NY but this means a boat there and back (which is far more expensive!). Out of interest, have you had any clients that have done this?

I agree as long as whomever scores the skin is highly experienced I wouldnt care

PGP. I am only talking from a legal aspect. If it turns out to possibly have a bad outcome if a tech does it then it opens up to a bigger problem for docs practice. There are laws and should be followed. But as far as tools used. I am now and allways were only concerned about results.

Originally posted by PLEASE GROW PLEASE:

Yes but if its legal {which I believe it is in some states} then there should be no worries for a clinic.

Right? Wrong?

For the clinic then yes. On a side note for me personally. I want the doc involved as much as possble even if it takes a bit longer. I would be curious to know which states this is legal in since over the last 5 years or so it seems more and more are offering Fue procedures.