New member. Wants advice

YoungDude

I'm 25 and my hair began receding last year. Currently, I'm using minoxidil and shampoos geared to stopping or promoting growth. I've been on the this regime for two months (probably not enough time to see results) but I'm still seeing hair loss, just a little slower than before. Its really effecting my moral.

My question is: when is it the right time to become more aggressive? definition of agressive is use medicinal products and/or HT. I just don't want to wait at the last moment, where costs will be high, minimize the degree difficutly, and embarrassment.

If someone can reply, I will greatly appreciate it. Need some definite advise. Thanks

YoungDude

I'm 25 and my hair began receding last year. Currently, I'm using minoxidil and shampoos geared to stopping or promoting growth. I've been on the this regime for two months (probably not enough time to see results) but I'm still seeing hair loss, just a little slower than before. Its really effecting my moral.

My question is: when is it the right time to become more aggressive? definition of agressive is use medicinal products and/or HT. I just don't want to wait at the last moment, where costs will be high, minimize the degree difficutly, and embarrassment.

If someone can reply, I will greatly appreciate it. Need some definite advise. Thanks

YoungDude

Propecia is the strongest drug available to stop or dramatically slow down hair loss. You might want to consider getting on it to preserve the hair you have.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

make sure you research it fully before you take it....make an educated decision....I personally think that there are a lot more risks involved than what most people are led to believe....

Some have great results, others dont....

here is one link....Ive read hundreds....

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/reform8.htm

Think long term also, as you could potentially have to take the medication for what, say 60 yrs?

That is true. You should completely understand what you are taking. Although in 20 to 30 years, I would hope that there would be an alternative.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Hi

If you want to stop your hairloss take propecia. I've been taking it since it came out and it stopped my hairloss. There have been no side effects to my knowledge.Yes, I must continue to take it but I'm sure in 10 years there will be other treatments. The alternative is losing your hair..

You decide

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by YoungDude:

My question is: when is it the right time to become more aggressive? definition of agressive is use medicinal products and/or HT. YoungDude

YoungDude,

Several mentioned Propecia (finasteride is the active ingredient) and you should look into it. You're right, 2 months for Minox isn't enough time to check for results. It can take up to 6-12 months. I opted for Propecia over Minox due to the messy regimen of Minox versus taking a pill with Propecia. Plenty of threads here using the find feature so research your heart out. icon_smile.gif Remember, once you commit to Propecia or Minox, stick with it. If you try it for a few years then decide to quit anything you've kept because of them will eventually fall out. Don't want to scare you, just open your eyes to the fact that the decision to try and keep your hair is a lifelong commitment.

Get aggressive by doing everything you can other than a HT. If you're just starting to lose your hair, chances are you're ripe for saving the majority of what you have without having a HT. Propecia is a good first step, then I would consider a good scalp and hair care regimen. Those are the biggies when it comes to non-HT related methods of keeping hair with some regrowth possible.

You can always consider a HT if these preventatives don't work for you but they should. I would have much preferred keeping what I had when I started thinning at age 23 but Propecia wasn't available then and I didn't want to stick with Minox. The regimen can be a little bit of a pain but will be worth it to you in the long run.

Good luck.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.