Please advise me....

Hi everyone:

Sorry, this is long -

I'm 30 and 5 1/2 mos. postpartum (1 st child) and I'm shedding : ( I was told by endo to go on the birth control pill Yasmin after the baby came, which I did do. My hair is looking worse all the time. I'm dreading the summer b/c of scalp shine and wind. I'm in my sister's wedding in Disney World in October and I'm dreading my hair for that event too. I sent my pics out to many docs recomended on this site. From my pics, they said I look like a good candidate. I went yesterday for an in person consult with my husband and son. First the sales rep looks at my hair and tells me the the sides are thin and that's not good, but I had decent donor hair in the back, but it is limited. The the dr's come in and they start picking through my head under very bright lights. I felt so horrible - like a monkey in a zoo. The docs were very nice - i am just super sensitive to anyone touching my hair. My husband was with me and I felt embarassed that he saw how bad my hair really is (he knows all about my problem, but isnt inspecting my head regularly). The dr's said too, that I'd have to have at least 2 or more transplants to achieve a decent look. And that it would take a year before the real result of the 1st session was seen. He said women usually suffer from shock loss - meaning that some of the hair that I already have in that area may fall out from the trauma of the surgery. He said thay around 6 wks after the operation I may look thiner up top than I do now, but then it should grow in after about 5-6 mos. They don't know how much my thinning will progress but said that my donor hair is limited and if it gets really bad down the line, I would run of of hair to transpalnt. He recomended dermatch and tried it on my head - I thought it looked ok. The dr's were nice, I just wanted to hear that this nightmare would end and that's not what they said. On the elevator ride down, I began hysterical crying and the whole ride home - my husband is so supportive telling me we'll find a solution, but is this it for me? I have a 2nd HT consult next week. I'll see what he thinks. So here's where I need advice - should I do the HT knowing I'll loose some from shock, but hopefully after it grows in, it will be good (ps cost for 1000 grafts is $4500). Also keeping in mind I'll have to have at least a second procedure down the line. I would really like to have my own growing hair if I can OR do I just come to the reality that I will need a system or topper? I want something permanent. I cant be in the bathroom figeting with putting hair on everday. I dont want to put on hair when people come to my house and not for anything, I want to look nice for my husband. I dont want to take the damn hair off at night and have my hubby seeing my gross head.

What would you do if you were me? Don't let cost be a factor - I swear I'd go into debt on my credit cards to have my confidence and sanity back. Thank God my husband is also ok with the costs in whatever I decide.

Thank you so much - I have not stopped crying since yesterday - I can really use your advice.

TF

Hi everyone:

Sorry, this is long -

I'm 30 and 5 1/2 mos. postpartum (1 st child) and I'm shedding : ( I was told by endo to go on the birth control pill Yasmin after the baby came, which I did do. My hair is looking worse all the time. I'm dreading the summer b/c of scalp shine and wind. I'm in my sister's wedding in Disney World in October and I'm dreading my hair for that event too. I sent my pics out to many docs recomended on this site. From my pics, they said I look like a good candidate. I went yesterday for an in person consult with my husband and son. First the sales rep looks at my hair and tells me the the sides are thin and that's not good, but I had decent donor hair in the back, but it is limited. The the dr's come in and they start picking through my head under very bright lights. I felt so horrible - like a monkey in a zoo. The docs were very nice - i am just super sensitive to anyone touching my hair. My husband was with me and I felt embarassed that he saw how bad my hair really is (he knows all about my problem, but isnt inspecting my head regularly). The dr's said too, that I'd have to have at least 2 or more transplants to achieve a decent look. And that it would take a year before the real result of the 1st session was seen. He said women usually suffer from shock loss - meaning that some of the hair that I already have in that area may fall out from the trauma of the surgery. He said thay around 6 wks after the operation I may look thiner up top than I do now, but then it should grow in after about 5-6 mos. They don't know how much my thinning will progress but said that my donor hair is limited and if it gets really bad down the line, I would run of of hair to transpalnt. He recomended dermatch and tried it on my head - I thought it looked ok. The dr's were nice, I just wanted to hear that this nightmare would end and that's not what they said. On the elevator ride down, I began hysterical crying and the whole ride home - my husband is so supportive telling me we'll find a solution, but is this it for me? I have a 2nd HT consult next week. I'll see what he thinks. So here's where I need advice - should I do the HT knowing I'll loose some from shock, but hopefully after it grows in, it will be good (ps cost for 1000 grafts is $4500). Also keeping in mind I'll have to have at least a second procedure down the line. I would really like to have my own growing hair if I can OR do I just come to the reality that I will need a system or topper? I want something permanent. I cant be in the bathroom figeting with putting hair on everday. I dont want to put on hair when people come to my house and not for anything, I want to look nice for my husband. I dont want to take the damn hair off at night and have my hubby seeing my gross head.

What would you do if you were me? Don't let cost be a factor - I swear I'd go into debt on my credit cards to have my confidence and sanity back. Thank God my husband is also ok with the costs in whatever I decide.

Thank you so much - I have not stopped crying since yesterday - I can really use your advice.

TF

Thinning Female,

You are looking for a permanent solution and it sounds like you have made up your mind about wigs, hairpieces, etc.

Females are at great risk of shock loss after a hair transplant. The physician you went to is totally right about that and I am glad to hear that he warned you far in advance.

Speaking of, I am also very glad that he was ethical enough to not tell you want you want to hear - but that he told you the truth of the matter. I think too many "chain" transplant clinics simply tell potential patients exactly what they want to hear to get them in the chair. The physician that you visited sounds like he had ethics.

Basically, it boils down to what you think is your most viable option. A hair transplant will give you more density up top, but you also have to weigh the potential shock-loss factor. You can help lessen shock-loss with Minoxidil designed for women, but unfortunately, there is little else available for precautionary measures for women.

It sounds like you have done your research and that is great. I am posting some links that pertain to women's hair loss below. You may find them interesting and helpful.

Female Hair Loss

Women Before/After Photos

Hair Loss in Women - by Dow Stough M.D.

I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 1 month later...

It sounds like you got great honest advise from a recommended Doctor. Unfortunately the only ones that would work on are also the ones that do the worst work AKA BUTCHERS .I was appauled when the consultant Steve told me that "DR." Magdalin had lowered a 16 year old girls hairline because she was self concious about her high hairline. This was while I was in shock over my recentley butchered head and I asked him how could they do this to a little girl. And he replied that he had the parents sign the forms. I wonder what happened to that girl.I wonder if MHR is going to have a second volume to go with leavitts hair loss and women entitled hairloss and children.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

2nd follow up.

Wait until at least 12 months post op for your postpartum to subside. My wife shedded for the first 9 months badly but it grew back in the next 6 months. So I would wait until your hormones get balanced first and make sure you have a good mental state of mind-- maybe 18 months, then if you still think you need HT-- follow up with Dr. Sharon Keene and do research with others-- go to a top notch reputable doctor.