My story, what can I do?

Expost

Hey everyone, I'm obviously new here, but after reading some posts, I thought to myself that this is the place to ask some questions. My hair loss problem goes back to when I was 16-turning 17, and had a terrible bout of psyoriasis around my upperforehead and temples(sp?). Anyhow, I was not exactly smart about it and scratched the living crap out of the area, and after it cleared up, everything seemed fine. Anyhow by 18 both the areas around my temples were looking bald (and I really feel like I hadn't noticed until 18) ,and I now looked like I had a receeding hairline. I was and am very self concious about it, and have been battleing with myself on keeping positive/staying confident without a hat ect.. However most people I know don't even notice it, or say it's not bad. I'm now 22 and it seems that the loss hasn't gotten worse, since it really looks like MPB, but I really would like to figure out if the hairloss I have was caused by the psyoriasis or if I am losing my hair the old fashioned way. Are there any ways I can figure this out? Also, could a HT help square my hairline up again? I'm pretty much a NW2 with really far back temple areas. (I have a widdows peak on the front, so it looks pretty funny if I try and pull off any "up" hair style)

Expost, you should see a dermatologist about this as a scalp condition can cause hairloss.If you are interested in hairtransplants there is alot to it (its not like what you saw on T.V.)and the responsibility falls on the patient to educate himself ,unfortunately to protect themselves against a doctor(the ones that false advertise on T.V.).There are alot of Wacko doctors in this field who would tell you anything and mess you up good.I am glad you found this forum it is a powerful tool that will save you from making a mistake.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

Expost, Your story is very interesting to me in that i posted here last week about my son who is nineteen and is losing hair, mainly in the front. He also suffered an extreme bout of psyoriasis when he was around sixteen. His scalp became inflammed and the doctor prescribed nizoral which he only used a few times. He has always had dandruff which i thought was kind of odd for someone that young. Since this onset of hair loss begin about 9 months ago i have wondered if the psyoriasis had anything to do with it. Perhaps a precursor to hair loss? Is the hair loss perminent if is was caused by psyoriasis? Any input as always greatly appreciated.

Definitely consult a dermatologist. He/she can diagnose the condition as MPB or as a result of trauma to the scalp as a result of the inflammation/scratching of the area. Do this before considering medication, as medications like Propecia or Minoxidil are not likely to help the situation if it is not MPB.

Do not consider hair restoration surgery at this time.

Keep us updated on your situation and welcome to the forums.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog