Coming off Propecia?

I've been on and off Propecia for the last 3 years, but have consistently started using it again in January 08. During that time, I started getting some hyper-pigmented dark spots on my arms, back, and legs. I went in to see my dermatologist and performed a biopsy. Apparently, the biopsy indicated some "allergic" elements and she thinks its Propecia. Has anyone heard/experienced anything similiar? The spots just appeared, weren't itchy or red.

Her recommendation is to stop using Propecia for a month and re-do a biopsy to see if the allergic elements are still present. Since I do have an HT scheduled for the end of next week, is it advisable to stop now or continue using Propecia for another 2-3 weeks and then start the one month trial?

Frankly, I would rather have the hair and deal with the dark spots. icon_wink.gif

I've been on and off Propecia for the last 3 years, but have consistently started using it again in January 08. During that time, I started getting some hyper-pigmented dark spots on my arms, back, and legs. I went in to see my dermatologist and performed a biopsy. Apparently, the biopsy indicated some "allergic" elements and she thinks its Propecia. Has anyone heard/experienced anything similiar? The spots just appeared, weren't itchy or red.

Her recommendation is to stop using Propecia for a month and re-do a biopsy to see if the allergic elements are still present. Since I do have an HT scheduled for the end of next week, is it advisable to stop now or continue using Propecia for another 2-3 weeks and then start the one month trial?

Frankly, I would rather have the hair and deal with the dark spots. icon_wink.gif

repo,

It's tough to say honestly. It seems like the only way to know for sure whether the allergic reaction is from the Propecia that you have to stop taking it for a time. If Propecia is working to stop hair loss or regrow hair, then there is really no optimal time to stop.

Personally, I don't think stopping for a month is going to be too detrimental however, I'd discuss this with your hair transplant surgeon to see what he/she says.

Bill