transplant Surgery

Originally posted by look4datruth:

I'm still researching my hair loss treatment opions, but I'm leaning more towards surgery. One question that I have is how long does you hair have to be in the donor section for a successful transplant? All replies are greatly appreciated.

I don't know for sure because I haven't had my HT yet, but from what I've read and from the pictures I've seen, the strip area is buzzed down before it is removed so the length of the hair in the donor area wouldn't matter. If you have long hair, it would be taped up out of the way whilst the strip is removed. I assume it wouldn't be a good idea to completely shave your head because there must have to me enough stubble to align the planted hairs and also the scar would be visible if ones head was shaved right down.

PB

look4datruth,

Welcome to the forums.

PB is right. If you have longer donor hair, the surrounding hair will be gelled away from the donor area to be harvested. Physicians' preferences vary, but I would imagine that any doctor would want at least about a half inch of hair in the donor to work with.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog