Balding at 19? ... How is this possible?:(

Hey all.... This is my 1st post here, and I really hope that you guys will be able to help me out here...

Well, I am 19 years old and up until a few months ago I had thick full black hair and never imagined that I would ever have any problems with my hair. Then I slowly realised that a lot of my hair was falling out on a daily basis... I stopped using gel. Right now my hair isn't nearly as thick as it used to be, I have a little bald spot on the crown of my head, and my hairline is receding. After I come out the shower, if i tilt my head up a bit when looking in the mirror, I can see the shape of my skull through my hair and it looks like in some parts of my hair there is no more hair growing there.

Now how is this possible to happen at such a young age? and so suddenly? I am not going to go on any of those pills etc because my parents are against all of that, and even though I begged them to let me go on them, they refused and told me its MY fault because I used gel and never listened to them when they told me that the gel will mess my hair up.

Anyways... What do you guys think I should do? Its not that bad YET, but I want to do something about it before it gets worse.... Would going to Hair Transplants be wise? I mean... they wont need to transplant a LOT of hair because its not bad yet, so it wont be THAT expensive... right? Otherwise, what do you guys suggest? icon_confused.gif

Thanx for your time guys, i really need you guys, so please reply.

Hey all.... This is my 1st post here, and I really hope that you guys will be able to help me out here...

Well, I am 19 years old and up until a few months ago I had thick full black hair and never imagined that I would ever have any problems with my hair. Then I slowly realised that a lot of my hair was falling out on a daily basis... I stopped using gel. Right now my hair isn't nearly as thick as it used to be, I have a little bald spot on the crown of my head, and my hairline is receding. After I come out the shower, if i tilt my head up a bit when looking in the mirror, I can see the shape of my skull through my hair and it looks like in some parts of my hair there is no more hair growing there.

Now how is this possible to happen at such a young age? and so suddenly? I am not going to go on any of those pills etc because my parents are against all of that, and even though I begged them to let me go on them, they refused and told me its MY fault because I used gel and never listened to them when they told me that the gel will mess my hair up.

Anyways... What do you guys think I should do? Its not that bad YET, but I want to do something about it before it gets worse.... Would going to Hair Transplants be wise? I mean... they wont need to transplant a LOT of hair because its not bad yet, so it wont be THAT expensive... right? Otherwise, what do you guys suggest? icon_confused.gif

Thanx for your time guys, i really need you guys, so please reply.

Don Juan- if you are always a step ahead of everyone, you should know the answer by now icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Anyway, I think medication is your ONLY option at this point. No person on earth could forecast your hairloss, so a HT could be disaster. Give your parents the address to the site and let them do some research on their own. Again, if you are losing hair at 19, a HT is NOT the answer. I hope this helps.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

You may just be shedding young dude.....get on the meds right away if you are convinced it's hairloss. Lots of factors play here: your genetics/ your stress level/ drugs, legal and otherwise. Get some coverups like dermmatch to disguise bald areas and take some of the pressure off.

Hey guys... thanx for the replies.

the B spot: When I say "always a step ahead of you" its just something i have always put, its a habit.

Anyways, I think ur right, I don't think that HT is the best option right now for me.

JacobS: When u say "shedding" what do you mean? Is my hair going thinner etc normal? Will it grow back on its own?

And does weed affect your hair loss? I'm not a heavy smoker at all, once every few months maybe, so I doubt its that even IF its not good for ur hair.

About the stress, well i'm in college now and there is always a lot of work, so my stress levels are generally high.

My dad is 45 and is only starting to bald now on the crown of his head. My mom and everyone else in my family have good thick full hair.

I have not shampooed my hair for a few days now though and my hair seems to feel thicker for some reason all of a sudden.... how is that possible? could it be the shampoo i use? (Head&Shoulders) I mean... what else. besides for genetics can be the cause of this? Too much sun to the hair? too much sport? (soccer) the fact that i use to gel my hair?

And one last thing.... what does it mean when ur head is itchy from time to time when it never USE to be itchy from time to time before?

Thanx a mil for your time and help icon_smile.gif

~Don Juan~,

Welcome to the forums. If your loss was very sudden and quick, please do yourself a favor before starting on any medication and see a dermatologist. Male-pattern hair loss can come on quick, but in many cases, a quick burst of shedding can be just a symptom of an underlying condition. You want to make sure that what you are dealing with is truly MPB if you start taking Finasteride or Minoxidil.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog